The Volunteer & Intern Specialist (VIS) will coordinate with the Community Engagement team to provide volunteer, intern, and mentor support to Turlock office programs. The VIS will recruit, screen, train, and supervise recruited volunteers, interns, and mentors; provide ongoing support and guidance; manage volunteer information in a central database system; and plan and coordinate match-generating strategies. The VIS will develop and/or disseminate trauma-informed training materials to best prepare volunteers, interns, and others for their work with refugees, asylees, and survivors of human trafficking. In Coordination with the Community Engagement team, the VIS will develop new relationships with community organizations, colleges and universities, and faith-based organizations, coordinate and track volunteer and intern activities, and ensure volunteers are well-prepared and following IRC standards and guidelines. The IRC relies on volunteers to provide critical support to beneficiaries. Through interns, volunteers, and mentors donating time, this position will be integral for providing critical support to refugee individuals and families served by the IRC in Turlock.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
• Liaise actively with program managers and other staff members on intern and volunteer opportunities for their respective programs.
• Recruit, process, interview, onboard, train, and support interns, volunteers, and professional mentors ensuring staff who express needs receive quality support;
• Serve as a point person for volunteers and interns, answering questions and providing necessary support;
• Manage volunteer records and ensure volunteer compliance with IRC standards;
• Facilitate monthly meetings with intern cohorts, including professional development training;
• Plan and host quarterly volunteer appreciation events;
• In coordination with the Community Engagement team, Design new volunteer or intern opportunities to meet changing needs, write and post descriptions, and create training materials and curriculum for successful onboarding and support of new positions;
• Assist with the development and facilitation of match-generating volunteer opportunities to leverage community interest;
• Manage volunteer hours and donations tracking through Salesforce;
• Support community engagement events as needed;
• Attend tabling events at Colleges, Universities as needed;
• Comply with all policies, procedures, and protocols of the agency;
• Participate in IRC Communities of Practice, staff meetings, and staff development activities, and fully engages as a member of the Community Engagement team;
• Other related duties as assigned.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Community Engagement Manager
Position directly supervises: Volunteers and Interns
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Turlock staff
External: Donors, schools and universities, community groups, and other external parties
Education: BA/BS degree preferred, preferably with an emphasis in communication, non-profit management, Human Resources, or a relevant field of study.
Work Experience: Related work experience in volunteer coordination, non-profit work, management, development, engaging communities, outreach, communications, human resources, or related field. We are particularly interested in candidates who are comfortable speaking in public and training groups. Program coordination/management in humanitarian relief, public service, or other not-for-profit environment a plus.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills; ability to develop and maintain long-term partnerships with donors, vendors, community organizations and other stakeholders;
• Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multicultural environment;
• Experience developing and providing orientations and trainings;
• Experience implementing effective outreach and marketing strategies and leveraging community support;
• Self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills and demonstrated success in developing and managing multiple projects and activities;
• Strong writing and communication skills, including experience working in and developing teams;
• Solid organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks, set priorities, effectively manage time, and meet deadlines;
• Proven ability to contribute both independently and as a key team member;
• Proficient in Microsoft Office including outlook, word, publisher, and excel;
• Proven ability to work within multiple online platforms, including Salesforce, CRMs, Google Drive, and Facebook.
Language Skills: Excellent written and spoken English
Certificates or Licenses: Reliable transportation with proof of valid driver’s license, insurance, and clean driving record is required for the role
• Standard hybrid office environment (this is not a fully remote position). As part of the Community Engagement team, In-kind donation distribution may be required when covering for Community Engagement team members. Some weekends and evenings may be required.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
How to apply
Please apply on our website: