- Organization:Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- Ending:02 Aug 2019, Friday
- Posted:07 May 2019, Tuesday
- Location: unspecified unspecified, unspecified
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 1900946
Technical Specialist (Animal Health)
Job Posting : 02/May/2019
Closure Date : 02/Aug/2019, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific
Job Type : Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location : Various Locations
Duration : up to 11 months
Post Number : N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on your personal device date and time settings
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations d epending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (RAP) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the region and, in collaboration with the Regional Programme Leader (RPL), departments and divisions at headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RAP also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RAP develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The Emergency Centre for Transboundary Animal Diseases (ECTAD) Regional and Country Teams are dedicated to working with governments in preventing and controlling emerging infectious and zoonotic diseases by working closely with national and international stakeholders in the animal production and health sector. The tasks envisaged for this consultancy are to be carried out through the Emergency Centre for Transboundary Animal Diseases (ECTAD), which is currently implementing a number of projects in various countries in Asia.
Regional Call Purpose
The purpose of the Regional Call is to attract expertise for the Consultant and Personal Services assignments as they become available in ECTAD’s area of work. The Regional Call will create a roster of Applicants that will be used to identify candidates for these assignments, at regional or country level in the region.
The consultants will report to a Team Leader of the assignment.
Below is a list of areas that will be covered by the Technical Specialist (Animal Health) roster:
- Disease prevention and control in major Transboundary Animal Diseases (TADs), Emerging Infectious Diseases (EIDs) and zoonotic diseases present in the region (e.g. Avian Influenza (AI), African Swine Fever (ASF), Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD), Petite de Peste Ruminants (PPR), etc.)- Epidemiology- Laboratory- Disease Surveillance- Animal Health Economics- Herd Health Management- One Health approach- Antimicrobial Resistance in Animal Health- Communications (animal health related)- Monitoring and Evaluation (animal health related)- Programme/Project Management and Operations (animal health related)- Report writing (animal health related)
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the design and implementation of projects and programmes carried out by ECTAD in the Asian Region- Provide technical support into the design and implementation of disease prevention and control programmes- Provide technical advice and expertise and strengthen country preparedness and response to animal health related emergencies at all levels- Enhance country public and private sector capacities and partnerships- Facilitate knowledge management, capacity building and dissemination of information in the required areas at country and regional level- Coordinate with relevant partners at various levels in the implementation of specific tasks- Design and support the organisation of events relevant to the various programmes and projects- Contribute to the development of written technical documents, including various proposals, reports and publications
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- For Consultants: Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent) relevant to the above areas (e.g. veterinary sciences, biomedical sciences, animal health economics, etc.)/ For PSA: University Degree in the above areas.- For level C (Consultants/PSA): at least one year of relevant experience- For level B (Consultants/PSA): at least five years of relevant experience- For level A (Consultants/PSA): at least twelve/fifteen years of relevant experience respectively- For Consultants: Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish / For PSA: only working knowledge of English is required.
FAO Core Competencies
For Consultants/PSA Level A:- Results Focus- Leading, Engaging and Empowering- Communication- Partnering and Advocating- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement- Strategic ThinkingFor Consultants/PSA Level B and C- Results Focus- Teamwork- Communication- Building Effective Relationships- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, desirably in field locations- Extent and relevance of experience in a technical area of assignment- Extent and relevance of experience in providing technical support at local, national or regional levels- Extent and relevance of knowledge in the implementation of international instruments related to pertinent field of expertise- Extent and relevance of professional experience in project and/or programme formulation and implementation- Familiarity with and understanding the work of international organisations, regional entities and national governments- Ability to support resource mobilization efforts- Ability to organize and conduct technical meetings, conferences and workshops when applicable
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Vacancies will be removed from the recruitment portal at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
FAO – Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Other Jobs at the Same Organization (6)
- Call For Expression Of Interest – REU Internship Programme, Various Locations ending on 01 Sep 2019, Sunday
- Call For Expression Of Interest – RAF Regular Volunteer Programme, Various Locations ending on 01 Sep 2019, Sunday
- Call For Expression Of Interest – HQ Regular Volunteer Programme, Rome, Italy ending on 31 Aug 2019, Saturday
- Policy, Economics and Institutions Specialist, Rome, Italy ending on 31 Aug 2019, Saturday
- Consultant, Maputo, Mozambique ending on 31 Aug 2019, Saturday
- Facilitador Nacional para el proyecto, Quito, Ecuador ending on 08 Aug 2019, Thursday