The Shelter Technical Field Assistant is responsible for assisting in the day to day implementation of the Shelter program in Bekaa Lebanon, through carrying out quality technical assessments and technical follow-up, eligibility and vulnerability assessments, and reporting accordingly.
- Carry out technical needs assessments for shelters/communal spaces/schools, in line with NRC’s project criteria intervention.
- Produce accurate drawings, reports, measurements (BoQs) and/or photographs as evidence of a technical assessment
- Monitor and report on the shelter activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standards
- Ensure minimum Shelter standards (based on SPHERE) are applied and maintained in shelters
- Mobilize communities and community leaders for the building materials, construction activities and maintenance of structures
- Suggest new methods and approaches to improve the quality of the activities as relevant based on needs and field observation
- Administrate payment requests for partners, house owners, contractors, suppliers, construction workers, etc.
- Carry out Data Collection as required
- Prepare and file relevant documents according to procedures
- Ensure that NRC’s related activities are implemented within NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines and reports any breaches/concerns to the line manager and/or focal point for proper action
Ensure that all protection related detected cases are referred to the concerned referral focal point and to the related Protection Coordinator.
- Monitor, supervise and inspect the quality of the works to ensure conformity with the technical specification as specified in the Bill of quantities (BOQ) and scope of works, drawings and Design requirements
- Carry out and conduct data collection and assessments as required for all shelters modalities such as social and technical assessments for cash for rent modality, minor rehabilitation, shelters restorations and upgrades, schools rehabilitations, centers isolation, infrastructure upgrades, and any other shelter activity .
- Contribute to all shelter Covid-19 activities and plans
- Preparation and delivery of cash payments, collection of monthly rent receipts, and distribution of Libanpost cards for selected families if required
- Identify needs and propose scope of intervention (from the technical aspect) for shelter rehabilitation such as minor rehabilitation works, major construction works and/or property upgrades in Small Shelter Units, school rehabilitation and isolation centers
- Ensure that all materials used and work performed address beneficaries’ needs and ensure safety by doing safety inspections of the sites
- Check plans, drawings and quantities for accuracy of calculation.
- Distribute NFIs as planned, and as requested by the line manager
- Report all protection related concerns related to families following the protection mainstreaming guidelines, and safe reporting channels
Daily Update of shelter’s activities tracking sheets (HH tracker, payments tracker) and submission of daily and monthly report and as requested by the line manager
- Other NRC departments
- Local authorities (e.g. Muhktars and Mayors)
Contractors and Suppliers
1. Professional Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering or Architecture or other relevant engineering degree
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant work experience with shelter projects in a humanitarian/recovery context, or Minimum of 1 year of relevant on-site work experience with construction projects. experience with start-up of projects is a plus
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both spoken and written
Proficiency of CAD programs and computer-based drawings
2. Behavioral Competencies:
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Planning and delivering results
- Coping to change
Handling insecure environments
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Competency Framework