Overview of the functions of the post
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNESCO Institute for Statistics, the guidance of the Head of the Education Standards and Methodology Section, and the direct supervision of the Head of the Household Surveys and Equity Unit, the incumbent performs specialised technical and procedural tasks related to statistical data analysis and dissemination of education data and indicators, as follows:
- Data collection, processing and validation:
- Collect, evaluate and monitor education statistics from countries, through compilation and analysis of data from household surveys, population censuses, and other sources.
- Collect and review survey documentation, compile metadata, and draft explanatory notes for data users.
- Analyse household survey and census data and carry out quality control, through consistency and credibility checks, follow-up with data providers, and other methods.
- Indicator production and development of statistical methods:
- Extract and merge survey data files, and code and recode variables.
- Program and calculate education indicators.
- Test and validate calculation methods for existing and new indicators.
- Improve coverage and quality of the UIS education database through estimation and imputation of missing or inconsistent data.
3.Production of statistical outputs:
- Extract data for dissemination by the UIS and other organizations and check for accuracy and completeness.
- Design, produce and check statistical tables, graphs and data visualizations.
- Draft short analytical text and technical documentation on education statistics.
- Proofread and fact check statistical material for print or electronic publications, in official UN languages.
- Maintenance of the UIS database and statistical tools:
- Consolidate and organize the UIS archive of sample survey and census data on education, including documentation, according to UIS standards.
- Maintain the UIS database with standardized variables for analysis across countries and over time.
- Provide support to maintenance of the UIS database system in various areas, such as testing, reporting of bugs and proposing of system enhancements.
- Provision of technical support and training:
- Respond to data requests and other queries from internal and external data users concerning statistics and methodology.
- Prepare documents and deliver presentations on topics in the fields of work of the UIS.
- Support the implementation and delivery of UIS workshops.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
Planning and organizing
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
For detailed information consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
Completion of post-secondary (Cegep or equivalent), technical or vocational education, preferably with completion of statistical methods or data processing courses.
At least five years of relevant work experience, which involves the processing and analysis of statistical data, preferably on education.
Skills and competencies
- An aptitude for numbers and good knowledge of statistical methods.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to manage and analyse large data sets with a statistical package.
- Experience in the analysis of sample survey and census data.
- In-depth knowledge of specialized statistical software, preferably Stata.
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
- Good organisational and time management skills.
- Excellent team spirit and the ability to maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English or French, good knowledge of the other language is desirable.
A bachelor or equivalent degree in statistics or another field with a strong quantitative component.
Professional experience in a government or an international organization.
Skills and competencies
- Knowledge of Visual Basic, SQL and R.
- Aptitude for data visualization.
- Knowledge of Tableau.
• Good knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
A written assessment may be used in the evaluation of candidates.
Employment and Procurement’
Other Jobs at the Same Organization (10)
- CHIEF OF SECTION, LIFE SUPPORT SERVICES, El Fasher, Sudan ending on 29 Jul 2019, Monday
- Programme Associate, Bonn, Germany ending on 23 Jul 2019, Tuesday
- INTERN – LEGAL AFFAIRS, New York, USA ending on 25 Jul 2019, Thursday
- Senior Security Operations and Training Officer, Amman, Jordan ending on 10 Aug 2019, Saturday
- Political Affairs Officer, Nicosia, Cyprus ending on 29 Jul 2019, Monday
- TRANSLATOR/REVISER, ENGLISH, Arusha, Tanzania ending on 10 Aug 2019, Saturday
- TRANSLATOR, KINYARWANDA, Arusha, Tanzania ending on 10 Aug 2019, Saturday
- Head of Witness Support and Protection Unit, Kigali, Rwanda ending on 10 Aug 2019, Saturday
- Service Line Manager / Human Resources Officer, Entebbe, Uganda ending on 26 Jul 2019, Friday
- Consultant – IT Auditor, HQ Amman, Jordan ending on 07 Aug 2019, Wednesday