Title: Southern & Francophone Africa Program Intern
Location: Washington DC
Department Name: Program Delivery
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant.
Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Program Delivery Overview:
Pact exists to help create a world where those who are poor and marginalized exercise their voice, build their own solutions, and take ownership of their future. The Program Delivery and Country Office teams contribute to realizing this by:
- Ensuring effective project management through supporting project startups, implementation, reporting and financial and human resource management as well as closeouts
- Portfolio coordination: providing a leadership role in the regional portfolio teams in DC, and organizing monthly calls for the portfolio team with each country office.
- Working with country teams to develop, refine and pursue their strategies by leveraging technical knowledge (our own and others), researching, and analyzing potential partners and opportunities.
- Grow and diversify: contributing to scoping, pre-positioning and proposal development with the Opportunity Development team.
- Knowledge sharing and learning: enhancing communication between country offices and DC, to ensure better understanding of the diverse operating environments and program approaches.
- External relations: participating in the development conversation by attending events, hosting meetings, and reaching out to potential partners and donors.
The Program Delivery Intern will support the Southern and Francophone Africa (SAFO) regional portfolio. The Intern learns Pact’s program and knowledge management systems and interacts daily with colleagues in country offices and DC-based departments. S/he works closely with Program Officers and/or Program Managers in a team approach. In addition to being a temporary staff position, the internship is a learning opportunity for a young professional interested in a career in international development. The internship takes place from October 22nd to December 31st with a schedule of up to 40 hours per week and will be compensated at $15 per hour and/or for school credit.
Program and Field Support
- Provide operational and administrative support to projects as needed; coordinate timely and comprehensive responses to country teams’ requests and needs
- Assist country office staff in the development of project reports, work plans, budgets and other project contractual obligations, and ensure timely submission and quality of content
- Track project closeouts and address issues and questions
- Write and/or update Past Performance References for active and ended projects
- Schedule meetings and take notes as requested
- Work in concert at the program level with all relevant stakeholders
- Coordinate country office and team support from the Shared Services, Program Advancement and regional portfolio departments
- Pay invoices and prepare payment requests for Pact vendors and consultants as requested
- Assist in coordinating and logistics for visiting field staff members
Communications, Research and Knowledge Management:
- Maintain knowledge management systems and update webpage content by posting key documents on the intranet, including case studies, meeting notes, reports, etc.
- Maintain the e-filing system of shared network drives, saving all relevant material to the designated location
- Assist with the country strategies, including desk review of sector needs, stakeholder analysis, and review and editing of strategy documents
- Create, review and update communication material for HQ and Country Offices including two-pagers and fact sheets as needed
- Provide research on various technical or strategic topics for fundraising opportunities or as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Completed Bachelor’s degree in International Development, International Relations, Regional Studies, Program Management, Public Health or related field
- At least six months of full-time work experience in an office environment
- Self-starter and independent worker who can also work well as a team member
- Ability to establish and sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with Pact staff at HQ or in overseas offices in Africa
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, including Excel
- Excellent verbal and written cross-cultural communication skills
- Detail oriented with the ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks
- Strong interest in international development
- Fluency in English
- Pursuing or recently completed Master’s degree in International Development, International Relations, Regional Studies, Program Management, Public Health or related field
- Experience in a developing country context strongly preferred
- Working knowledge of French a plus
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Washington, United States
Other Jobs at the Same Organization (9)
Program Delivery, Washington DC, USA ending on 10 Oct 2019, Thursday
Manager, Social Investment and Alternative Finance, Washington, United States ending on 02 Feb 2019, Saturday
Health Advisor, Johannesburg, South Africa ending on 15 Dec 2018, Saturday
Field Finance and Admin Manager, Jakarta, Indonesia ending on 15 Dec 2018, Saturday
Deputy Chief of Party-Mekong Environment Program, Beijing, China ending on 29 Mar 2019, Friday
Team Leader, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania ending on 21 Feb 2019, Thursday
Team Leader (Transparency and Accountability), Lilongwe, Malawi ending on 21 Feb 2019, Thursday
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Director, Kathmandu, Nepal ending on 12 Apr 2019, Friday
Finance and Administration Director, Maseru, Lesotho ending on 19 Apr 2019, Friday