Location: Pristina, Kosovo
Reports to: Chief of Party
Please Note: This position is contingent upon award and USAID approval with an anticipated start date of mid-late 2023
Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development and Financial Inclusion to save lives, advance equity and secure strong futures. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in more than 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a more just, prosperous and equitable global community. We work with government, non-government, private sector, and community stakeholders to promote transparency, foster accountability, and access the channels they need to make their voices heard, promote change, and realize their full potential.
Global Communities seeks a Social & Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) Lead for the anticipated USAID Kosovo Adapt Activity. This five-year $13M program will increase public and private sector awareness and demand for climate smart initiatives and improve Kosovo’s capacity to adapt and implement policies that support Climate Change mitigation and adaptation, resulting in more resilient environment and economic sustainability for Kosovo citizens.
The SBCC Lead will provide leadership, strategic direction, and guidance in planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of SBCC strategies implemented by the Kosovo Climate Smart Initiatives Project. S/he will provide technical assistance and guidance in designing and developing tailored and effective interventions and innovative behavior change solutions using participatory, evidence-based, human-centered Design approaches. S/he will provide support in the integration of SBCC strategies and interventions within and across the project and will strengthen the capacity of the project teams on SBCC to achieve overall goals and objectives. S/he should be well-versed and adaptable to a variety of recent technologies, including mobile-based and digital solutions and methodologies, and use those to ensure development of high-quality products and the uptake of innovative dissemination practices. The incumbent will be responsible for leading the SBCC interventions, in close Coordination with key personnel and technical advisors.
- Provide technical and programmatic guidance and oversight to all the SBCC activities undertaken and planned by the project aimed at improving climate change awareness and practices among citizens, the government and the private sector
- Develop evidence based SBCC strategies using a variety of state-of-the-art methodologies, including human centered design, behavioral sciences, gender transformative approaches/gender considerations, and digital technologies across different thematic areas
- Collaborate with the Senior Management Team of the project to ensure quality of SBCC approaches and methodologies aimed at improving climate change knowledge and skills
- Guide the performance of formative research and Community Engagement to determine comprehensive SBCC and data from formative research are translated into appropriate and actionable SBCC activities to climate change messages and actions
- Map and review already available formative research, SBCC materials, awareness messages, and other information on current practices and dialogue with the community to identify facilitating factors and barriers to desired practices
- Lead capacity strengthening and skill development of implementing partners including development of onboarding, training and implementation support
- Support the project’s implementation team in formulating locally appropriate SBCC strategies and operationalizing those strategies effectively, including development/adaptation and pre-test of communication materials
- Provide support in tracking implementation of SBCC activities, identifying gaps, and augmenting the strategies for increased reach, effectiveness, and enhancement of communication content
- Ensure the quality, equity, scale, and sustainability of programmatic approaches and documentation of experiences/ lessons learnt from the project, including production of learning briefs, white papers, and general documentation
- Represent the project’s SBCC work to internal and external stakeholders via knowledge management processes as appropriate
- Support standardized indicators for more comparable data across partners and ensure the SBCC M&E plans are aligned explicitly with the theory of change when it is required to initiate periodic or midcourse reviews with partners
- Align SBCC reporting requirements to include common aspects of design and implementation including key success stories for replicating or scaling up interventions
- Supervise the SBCC team of the project
- Other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as communication, behavior change, or social sciences required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in development sector with at least 7 years of experience in designing, planning, and implementing evidence based SBCC approaches as part of relevant community/social mobilization programming
- Demonstrated experience in applying a range of SBCC theories in the field of Climate Change
- Very strong understanding and experience of using Human Centered Design approach
- Strong background in formative/social science research, particularly social determinants of behavior investigation such as Doer/Non-Doer Analysis, Barrier Analysis, Positive Deviance Inquiry, Trials of Improved Practices, etc. and ideally in the Climate Change sector
- Strong background in advocacy, interpersonal communication skills development, group facilitation, and SBCC materials/tools development
- Experience in the utilization of state-of-the-art SBCC approaches, including use of social media, ICT (information and Communication Technology), Digital Media etc
- Understanding and familiarity of development communication challenges and solutions
- Strong understanding and perspective on gender
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability and experience to efficiently manage a team of professionals and work in a team
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Fluency in English (along with very strong writing ability) is essential. Proficiency in Albanian desired.
- Demonstrated learning agility, pro-activeness, and openness to embrace new technologies at work
- Willingness to travel as per requirement
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders and implementation partners
Global Communities positively welcomes and seeks applications from all sections of society. We are committed to a work environment that respects the dignity and worth of everyone and offers equal opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
How to apply
Social & Behavior Change Communication Lead, Kosovo Adapt Activity in | Careers at Kosovo (icims.com)