The Shelter/WaSH Technical Officer – specializes in Technical Support on essential services in urban and rural settings (construction, water supply, wastewater, energy systems) and he/she is responsible for assessing, planning, designing and supervising projects in those contexts.
The purpose of the Shelter/WaSH Technical Officer position is to ensure that repair and rehabilitation projects are implemented according to NRC standards and procedures and national regulations.
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards.
- Ensure compliance with NRC Ukraine strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards.
- Ensure that all Shelter/WaSH projects (repair, rehabilitation and/or reconstruction) are implemented in a timely manner and according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans, and in line with NRC policies and donor requirements.
- Specific technical responsibility for the quality control and monitoring of project activities.
- Specific technical responsibility for project documentation of technical activities of Shelter/WaSHproject(s).
- Provide specific technical support and Capacity Building towards project staff.
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options.
- Contributes to Shelter/WaSH specific protection risks and needs analyses.
- Ensure that the project is implemented in adherence with the requirements of the partnership agreement.
- Contributes to designing of protection response to identified risks and needs.
- Do structural assessments of buildings and WaSH facilities and propose technical solutions for materials/equipment/NFI assistance, repair, rehabilitation and/or reconstruction, and provide technical information for development of work plans, technical specifications, bills of quantities (BoQs), cost estimates, structural drawings (CAD) and tender documents for procurement of construction services.
- Review and analyze contract claims and variation orders, assess the completion of works, and prepare recommendations for payments, and interim and final payment certificates.
- Provide technical support to contractors and beneficiaries, supervise construction works, and ensure that quality of materials and workmanship is according to technical specifications.
- Involve and inform communities and local authorities about the activities and ensure that all projects are in line with national guidelines and regulations.
- Provide support, as required, to municipalities and other public bodies (particularly those lacking proper construction and procurement sections) on project Design and engineering.
- Coordination with humanitarian organizations and other relevant partners regarding Project Implementation.
- Ensure that distribution of materials and equipment is done in timely manner and according to procedures.
- Ensure correct data tracking for all interventions and prepare periodic progress reports and other documents as required.
- Assist and support the direct line manager in drafting reports of any kind.
- Assist with any other duties assigned by line manager as and when required.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, explore and assess new and better ways to assist.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Experience in technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Previous experience in complex and volatile contexts.
- 2 years’ experience working as a Engineer" id="link" class="link">Civil Engineer, knowledge of BoQ, norms and standards of construction works, including critical social infrastructures is desirable.
- Technical degree and expertise in architecture or engineering: civil, structural, electro-mechanical, hydrogeology, environmental, energy or related fields.
- Knowledge of Computer Programs: MS Word, MS Excel, Autocad.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to perform under tight deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize a complex workload and to work autonomously as needed.
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments
What We Offer
This position is open for Ukranian Nationals Only
We offer an opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause and a chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields.
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated in what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- To act as one unified and inclusive team;
To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible;
We invite applications from all qualified and interested candidates. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be screened on a rolling basis and interviews will be assigned instantly until a suitable candidate is selected.