Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit Global Development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and Nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D seeks one or more Senior Technical Advisors for the expected multi-year USAID-funded follow-on to the current Health Financing Improvement Program in Ethiopia (HFIP). This program will strengthen Ethiopia’s health financing systems and help advance the country’s progress towards universal health coverage (UHC) through effective, patient-centered care.
The Senior Technical Advisor(s) will lead project technical activities that strengthen health financing systems in Ethiopia, resulting in increased Resource Mobilization for health, greater efficiency in resource allocation and spending, expanded coverage of essential services, and improved financial protection for individuals and households. They will have expertise in one or more aspects of health financing, including strategic purchasing, health insurance, public Financial Management, domestic resource mobilization, and economic evaluation methods such as cost-effectiveness Analysis. They will provide technical Quality Assurance for relevant products and deliverables; contribute to thought leadership for the project; and provide coaching and mentoring to local counterparts to institutionalize health financing capacity improvements.
The position(s) are contingent upon award and will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Oversee project technical workstreams and activities in relevant areas, such as:
- Health financing
- Health Economics
- Domestic resource mobilization
- Health insurance (social health insurance, community-based health insurance)
- Financial protection
- Public financial management
- Economic evaluation methods
- Facilitate health financing policy dialogue with government stakeholders.
- Identify and respond to project needs for technical expertise on health financing topics; advise on technical questions and/or solicit and coordinate advising from technical staff and external consultants
- Describe technical elements of project work clearly and compellingly to external audiences.
- Supervise mid-level technical staff to achieve project milestones within the anticipated project timeline.
- Ensure high quality of all major deliverables and work products. Oversee preparation of draft progress summaries, policy briefs, and technical reports as requested.
- Post-secondary degree in a relevant field (health economics, Public Health, public/social policy, business or similar)
- 7+ years relevant work experience in health financing, health insurance, or health system strengthening in Ethiopia or a similar context.
- Familiarity with health financing principles and best practices
- Deep understanding and knowledge of healthcare financing strategies, challenges, and opportunities in the Ethiopian context.
- Experience working in/with public or private sector health financing organizations desirable.
- Strong facilitation, problem-solving, and stakeholder engagement skills
- Eagerness to support and mentor junior staff and peers
- Structured thinker with excellent analytic skills
- Strong writer and oral communicator who can lead the production of highly professional work products
- Fluency in oral and written English
How to apply
Please click here to apply.