Date: Feb 4, 2021
Location: N/A, KR
Company: Green Climate FundBackground
The Green Climate Fund (“the Fund”) is a multilateral fund created to make a significant and ambitious contribution to the global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community to combat Climate Change.
The Fund will contribute to the achievement of the ultimate objective of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). In the context of sustainable development, the Fund will promote the paradigm shift towards low-emission and climate-resilient development pathways by providing support to developing countries to limit or reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and to adapt to the impacts of climate change, taking into account the needs of those developing countries particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change.
The Fund is governed by a Board, composed of an equal number of members from developed and developing countries. The Fund is operated by an independent Secretariat headed by an Executive Director.
At its eighteenth meeting, the Board of the Fund approved the pilot scheme for the Simplified Approval Process (SAP). The objective of the pilot scheme is to reduce the time and effort needed in the preparation, review, approval and disbursement procedures for certain activities, in particular small-scale activities. The pilot scheme will be reviewed by the Board when it reaches two years from its operationalization or USD 80 million of GCF funding committed.
To ensure the effective and efficient support to developing countries, the GCF SAP Team within the Division of Country Programming of the GCF Secretariat is seeking Technical Support performed by a senior consultant, to support the review and organization of SAP proposals.
The Senior Project Consultant, reporting to the Manager (SAP, EDA, and PPF), is responsible for supporting the work related to the Simplified Approval Process (SAP). S/he will provide technical inputs and Coordination concerning the review process of the assigned concept notes and funding proposals. S/he will be responsible for drafting the project proposals' assessment findings, preparing presentations and briefings for the Manager, the Climate Investment Committee, and interacting, as needed, with the Independent Technical Advisory Panel and other relevant stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the SAP/PPF/EDA Manager, s/he will be responsible for but not limited to:
- Support the DCP/SAP and EDA teams in promoting a high-quality pipeline of projects and programmes to be financed through SAP and, in exceptional cases, the proposal submitted as part of the Enhancing Direct Access Pilot (EDA). This implies interactions with the specialists and the staff in the GCF Secretariat, the GCF Accredited Entities (AEs), the GCF National Designated Authorities and Focal Points (NDAs), and any other relevant stakeholders;
- Task manage the review of assigned SAP and EDA concept notes and funding proposals, mainly related to climate changed adaptation. This implies interactions with the AEs and NDAs, coordination with the GCF specialists, and preparing presentations for the GCF Climate Investment Committee and the GCF Independent Technical Advisory Panel.
- Prepare the assessment findings of the reviewed funding proposals and coordinate with the relevant GCF Specialists to ensure that all the sections of the assessment finding are complete and compliant with the GCF formats and standards;
- Support the preparation of the funding proposal term-sheets and funded activity agreement, in coordination with the GCF Office of the General Counsel and other relevant GCF staff;
- As necessary, support the SAP and EDA teams in training, events, and knowledge products to be organized and developed.
- Masters' degree or higher in engineering, environment, Agriculture, forestry or related fields;
- A minimum of overall thirteen years of relevant work experience with international organizations working in developing countries in project and programmes related to climate change, environment, rural development, or livelihoods;
- At least five years of experience in task managing projects with international financial institutions, climate funds, or other donors in the field of climate change (especially adaptation-related sectors)
- At least five years of experience with project preparation and implementation with international development organizations;
- Working experience is developing countries is required;
- Desirable experience in Climate Finance or development finance; familiarity with multilateral climate funds, project financing;
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to prepare and communicate complex information in written format;
- Exceptionally strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to multi-task and meet strict deadlines; and Fluency in English is essential; knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
- Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.
- Please indicate your earliest availability to take up the assignment, and notice-period required if employed.
- This is a remote based assignment.