The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and in 22 US cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IT department supports the organization’s work by providing reliable and scalable applications and infrastructure for the IRC’s offices in the US and around the world, including many technologically challenging locations. Specific services include application development & integration, system deployment, user experience and change management, quality assurance & testing, and overall Project Management to help the organization determine and implement the best solutions for its business needs.
The Senior Program Manager, Data & Delivery will provide overall program and portfolio management support for Data Team related work needed to deliver on IRC’s Data Ambition and Technology 100 Strategy.
They will support the entire Microsoft Power Platform and Data Lake System Development Lifecycle (SDLC) utilizing agile project management approaches to plan and execute tasks related to the design, configuration, development, and testing of integrated technology solutions. This includes coordinating technology architecture design, related business processes, communications and training required for the design and roll out to be successful.
This role requires strong cross-functional Program Management of both technical and functional business staff. The individual will work in collaboration with Information Technology Leadership and Data Governance Committee and Working Group members to manage technical, functional and change workstreams as well as establish and maintain an integrated approach that ensures all cross-functional areas work seamlessly together. They will develop and manage existing project documentation, including project schedules, weekly and monthly status reports, presentations, risk logs, action logs, issue logs, etc.
This role reports to the Director of Data, with a Management in Partnership (MIP) with the Sr. Portfolio Manager of the IT PMO.
- Facilitate Data Program and Portfolio Governance: Oversee the governance of programs within the Data program portfolio by collaborating with both IT and Business data teams including the Enterprise IT Data Architect, IT system Analysis, and business analysts. Manage the pipeline of potential future projects aligned with IRC data strategy direction, and prepare recommendations on acceleration, deceleration, additions, and removals from the portfolio.
- Creates and Maintains and Integrated Program Plan: Develops, and continually updates, detailed program management plans. Develops work breakdown structures based on the project objectives and scope. Ensures the implementation methodology is adhered to.
- Manages Program Status Reporting: Prepares status reports to convey project scope, goals, milestones, budget, risk, status, change requests, and critical issues to the client and project team.
- Supervises Program Cost Estimation, Ongoing Budget Tracking and Vendor Invoicing: Provides oversight of budget tracking and invoicing. Assists in developing costs estimates and analyzing data.
- Performs Program Resource Management: Provides work direction and leadership to assigned projects, including scheduling, assignment of work and review of project efforts. Identifies project resource requirements and staff assignments. Checks for staff availabilities. Updates the project plan with work assignments.
- Conducts Risk Management: Maintains documentation for identified risks and mitigation strategies. Proactively gathers and updates risk status and documentation as needed.
- Supports Stakeholder Management: Works with developers, analysts, data architect and business owners to analyze stakeholder expectations for projects based upon approved project requirements.
- Supports the Management of Project Business Analysis Tasks: Works with project team members and stakeholders to anticipate and manage business and Technical Analysis work done as part of the project, e.g., definition and management of technical and functional requirements, current and future state business process definition, testing, etc.
- Provides Overall Program Administration: Participates in program team meetings, proactively documents meeting minutes, track issues, decisions and action items, and follow-up between meetings to drive issues to closure.
Key Working Relationships:
- Maintain productive working relationships with Data Governance business and process partners, sponsors, system owners, Data Team Leadership, IT Leadership, and vendors.
- Ensure Director of Data Team has clear documentation, updates, budget, and work prioritization management for Data Team portfolio.
Position Reports to: Director of Data
Management in Partnership Reporting: Senior Director, IT Project and Portfolio Management (IT PMO)
Position directly supervises: N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Headquarters & Global Offices Teams – multiple departments
- Data Team Leaders, IT Leaders, PMO Data Project Managers, and Data System focal points
- Data Governance Sponsor, Steering Committee, and Working Group members
- Vendors and Consultants
Experience / Education
- 3-5 years of experience related to enterprise-wide Data Governance for standardized data systems implementation and maintenance, business process development, policy development, with clear demonstration of progressive achievement and growth in enterprise-wide portfolio management.
- 6-8 years of experience working with developers and technical stakeholders to developing documentation and policies for standard data platforms and tools such as Microsoft Power Platforms, and PowerBI, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in Business, Data, Business Information Systems, or related field required.
Skills / Competencies
- Excellent project management skills, with demonstrated track record of enterprise-wide cross-functional program management principles, practices and techniques with a strong results orientation.
- Experience using project management software tools, such as Monday.com, MS Project, Jira, Azure DevOps and other tools, to effectively lead, manage, monitor and control project activities.
- Ability to develop strong partnerships with both the technology and business use communities. Self-motivated and a problem solver who can assess and develop strategies for achieving the needs of the user community.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal skills. Ability to speak to technical-level staff and develop written reporting and presentational content with level-appropriate messaging up to and including the senior executive level.
- Ability to manage project team members in line with the goals of the individual project. Encourages and facilitates cooperation, results orientation and collaboration amongst the team.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a matrix environment, particularly in cross-functional teams across multiple lines of business, over whom there may be no direct authority.
- Remote work with some international travel required
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement:
In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity:
IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days (depending on role and tenure), medical insurance starting at $145 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare, childcare, and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with up to 4.5% immediately vested matching contribution, plus a 3-7% base IRC contribution (3 year vesting), disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
How to apply