Secretary – ( 1901293 )
Grade : G5
Contractual Arrangement : Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract duration : 6 Months
Job Posting : Mar 13, 2019, 9:28:44 AM
Closing Date : Apr 2, 2019, 9:59:00 PM
Primary Location : Uganda-Kampala
Organization : AF_UGA Uganda
Schedule : Full-time
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME To increase efficiency at the cluster level, the incumbent will provide administrative and secretarial support to the Programme Officers and staff to fully assume their responsibilities in the GSM environment and to ensure compliance with organizational policies, procedures, rules and regulations on all administrative and financial matters and transactions in the context of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES GENERAL- Receive visitors and telephone calls with tact and discretion, and acts according to the nature and urgency of each, including redirecting as appropriate. – Provide background information for appointments with official visitors and/or staff members. – Monitor requests for goods and services, including receipt, payment and inventory requirements.CORRESPONDENCE- Draft general or administrative correspondence on own initiative or on the basis of instructions; finalize correspondence/reports for signature/clearance.- Verify that outgoing correspondence is presented in accordance with WHO and department styles and checking language, grammar and accuracy prior to submitting for signature and clearance.- Analyze incoming correspondence and requests in the light of background material, instructions, policies and precedents, researching, obtaining and attaching background information in anticipation of the responsible officer’s needs, or redirecting them as appropriate; identify and highlight incoming documents and attach background information and identify areas requiring action by professional staff, drawing their attention to specific items.- Ensure that technical reports and documents are in line with WHO standards, rules, practices and procedures, editing and correcting them as necessary prior to their submission for signature or clearance of relevant authority.- Using appropriate tracking tools, follow-up on and ensure that target dates and deadlines are met, and that correspondence and queries are responded to in a timely manner.INFORMATION MANAGEMENT- In close collaboration with other support staff, create and/or maintain filing systems, continual review of filing system to ensure information is up to date and effectively and efficiently used.- Obtain documents and information from in-house and external sources as required; perform information searches (library, internet) as requested.- Coordinate compilation of technical documents requested of and provided by professional staff, to ensure they are logically compiled, formatted and assembled to facilitate the work of the Technical Unit.MEETING ADMINISTRATION – Arranges, coordinate and lead administrative preparation for meetings, seminars, workshops, including letters of invitation, costs calculation and travel requests; assisting with preparation of documents, dispatching of materials and liaising with participants and others involved.- Prepare presentations using PowerPoint and other software packages on own initiative or on the basis of instructions.- Schedule weekly team and ad hoc meetings, according to schedules and need; taking and preparation of minutes.- Obtain briefing and background materials for meetings, seminars, workshops, etc. to be attended by the team’s professional staff, checking their availability and ensuring they have the appropriate briefing files and documents.TRAVEL- Using GSM/Oracle, prepare travel requests for official WHO travel. OTHER DUTIES- Perform other related duties as required or instructed, including providing support to other areas of work
Education Essential: –> Completion ofsecondary school Diploma.Desirable: Training in secretarial tasks and/or in an administrative field is desirable.
Experience Essential: 5 to 7 years of relevant experience as a Professional Secretary.Desirable: Experience in administrative support positions in WHO or another UN agency an asset. Experience in Oracle-based or other ERP systems an asset.
Skills The incumbent maintains and updates proficiency in the use of modern office technology through of in-house courses, on-the-job training or self-training. He/she keeps abreast of changes in procedures and practices, rules and regulations, organizational structure, in the department, the cluster and WHO, to be able to brief others and explain procedures.
WHO Competencies TeamworkRespecting and promoting individual and cultural differencesCommunication
Use of Language Skills Essential: Expert knowledge of English.Desirable:
REMUNERATION WHO offers staff in the General Services category an attractive remuneration package, which for the above position includes an annual net base salary starting at UGX 48,110,000 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: . Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit:
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the duty station.
WHO – World Health Organization
Other Jobs at the Same Organization (10)
- Roster: Technical/Medical Officer/Consultant/Expert for Immunization & Vaccine Preventable Disease Surveillance, Multiple locations ending on 29 May 2019, Wednesday
- Executive Assistant (Logistics), Yangon, Myanmar ending on 29 May 2019, Wednesday
- Reports Officer, New Delhi, India ending on 27 May 2019, Monday
- Advisor, Climate and Environmental Determinants of Health, Mexico City, Mexico ending on 28 May 2019, Tuesday
- Administrative Technician I, Washington DC, USA ending on 28 May 2019, Tuesday
- Technical Officer (Data Science and Innovation), Copenhagen, Denmark ending on 28 May 2019, Tuesday
- Storekeeper, Erbil, Iraq ending on 27 May 2019, Monday
- Advisor, Healthy Aging, Washington DC, USA ending on 15 Jun 2019, Saturday
- Budget Officer, Brazzaville, Congo ending on 27 May 2019, Monday
- Risk Communications Officer, Copenhagen, Denmark ending on 26 May 2019, Sunday