The Roving Head of Mission position provides hands-on experience and expertise in developing innovative and professional humanitarian responses in natural and man-made emergencies. The Roving Head of Mission role combines Coordination and field experience, 50% will be designated to roving position, 50% to Program Management of the sectors WASH, Protection, and Health. Aiming towards continuous development and improvement, the Roving Head of Mission will have a key role in facilitating the development at all levels.
Key responsibilities: 50% roving, 50% supporting program department
- Support the liaising and the coordination with other HQ departments and the execution of emergency missions in accordance with IsraAID global strategy, mandate, and directive provided by the Director of emergency programming and Operations
- Support the director of Emergency Operations in Content Development, development, and improvement of programmatic tools, and reviewing materials in programs department
- training and speaking engagements in the US
- Assist in overseeing and coordinating the setup and closing of country offices
- Directly manage the Roving program managers (Wash, Protection, Health)
- lead new missions from week 2, in charge of the stabilization of the mission setup and programs, up to 7 months
- set up mission including all operational aspects including registration, recruit the local teams and prepare for the long-term mission.
- Be fully accountable at country level for emergency and risk management, keeping abreast of all relevant developments in the country, and maintain regular communication with national and international security institutions.
- Develop and maintain appropriate contingency plans for all kinds of emergencies.
- Be the Head of Emergency missions until the handover or phasing out are completed:
- Identify, reach out and create collaboration with partners in line with the country’s vision as academies, international platforms, Community Based Organization etc.
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of IsraAID’s programming in line with the country’s strategic plan, and develop methodological and Technical Support to ensure use of participatory methodologies, human rights and social exclusion frameworks.
- Stay up to date on socio-economic and political changes in country related to IsraAID’s mandate, undertake timely strategic review of IsraAID’s program strategy to respond to a rapidly changing environment.
- Drive forward the mission’s vision based on assessments and promotes partnership:
- Provide on-going support, monitoring and evaluation to IsraAID’s programs and existing projects, coordinate programme reviews, evaluations, and follow up on the implementation of evaluation findings.
- Coordinate the production of timely quality program reports in line with IsraAID’s established policy.
- Oversee the dissemination of IsraAID’s mission and core values and principles at the country level and lead, coordinate and mentor the country programme and its staff in line with the country strategy and philosophy.
- Manage HR and staff development until handover to permanent HoM is completed:
- Provide leadership support to IsraAID staff and promote best practices in human resources management
- Ensure staff are continuously engaged and aligned with IsraAID’s global vision, mission, values, strategic directions and business plan
- Maintain regular communication with IsraAID-Israel HQ and other IsraAID branches, as appropriate.
- Maintain effective and appropriate staff recruitment, orientation, appraisal, remuneration and development practice at all levels to ensure the optimum utilisation and development of IsraAID’s human resources.
- Provide coaching and mentoring advice to staff when necessary and lead initiatives to develop staff capacity.
- Manage funding and grants:
- Develop networks and partnerships with national/regional/international institutions in country and promote collaboration and funding.
- Spearhead a funding strategy that maximises and increases the external funding base, staying up to date on donor trends, and ensures adherence to funding and donor requirements.
- Oversee the production of quality proposals and respond to call for proposals.
- Facilitate and coordinate donor visits, donor meetings, discussions and evaluations as necessary.
- Manage finance and Administration:
- Ensure that all financial and administrative procedures are in accordance with IsraAID’s established policies and maintain the financial and legal integrity of the organisation.
- Prepare and implementation and review of the annual country budget.
- Provide progress and financial reports as required by the government and IsraAID HQ, as well as accountability procedures as required by other organisations.
- Ensure the preparation, accuracy and timely submission of financial reports that comply with grant or contract agreements.
- Check and verify all inventories and promote efficient and effective management of organizational assets.
- Corporate leadership:
- Actively contribute to IsraAID’s reputation and role as a national, international and regional organisation.
- Provide inputs to IsraAID international activities as and when required, participate in task forces, Training Courses and conferences.
- Promote IsraAID’s organizational identity, culture and capacity to all stakeholders and partners and ensure IsraAID remains relevant to the changing humanitarian and development needs in the country.
- Have a thorough understanding of IsraAID's mission statement, organizational identity, and theory of change.
- Raise the profile of IsraAID, work, and country missions through active participation in Interaction forums and external events when possible.
- Serve as an advocate for the country's missions and the organization
- Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- At least 5 years of experience in program management in the humanitarian setting
- Proven experience leading multi-sectoral emergency missions in a humanitarian
- Ability to travel for up to 60% of the time.
- Proven experience in securing funding of over 200,000 USD- advantage
- Ability to work under pressure in rapidly changing environments
- At least 3 years of management experience in small-medium size teams.
- MA in emergency management, Community Development, humanitarian law, or
- related academic fields.
1. Full time position.
2. Office working days Sunday- Thursday.
3. Commitment to align with Israel working hours as required, and no less than 5 hours daily.
4. At least 3 working days per week from IsraAID office.
5. If home based- willingness to travel at least 3 times per year to the HQ.
6. Minimum 2 deployments during the year of up to 3 weeks.
How to apply