ABOUT IsraAID AND THE POSITION
IsraAID is an Israel-based non-governmental organization founded in 2001. Since its inception, IsraAID has worked in Emergency and long-term development settings in over 55 countries. IsraAID’s mission is to support and increase the resilience of people affected by humanitarian crises by partnering with local communities around the world to provide urgent aid, assist in their recovery, reduce the risk of future disasters, as well as build their long terms capacity and resilience.
The Regional Director (RD) position is a strategic position within IsraAID, part of its global leadership team, essential to the organization to achieve its global humanitarian strategy. The RD leads the Regional Desk and wider Regional Team to advance and support the development and transformation of IsraAID’s country operations to continuously deliver quality and impactful programmes and services to the communities we serve, as well as, take leadership in increasing the regional footprint of the organization.
The RD for Europe, Asia and The Pacific is a new position in IsraAID, sitting within the Programmes Department. The RD will be reporting to the Sr. Dir of RRP, directly overseeing two SPOs (Europe and Asia-Pacific) and the country directors in the region.
IsraAID in Europe and Asia-Pacific
In Europe, IsraAID currently has established operations in Ukraine, Romania and Moldova responding to the Ukrainian crisis. In Asia-Pacific, IsraAID has varying programmes and offices in Vanuatu, India and the Philippines. IsraAID operates in 4 key thematic areas, including: Protection, WASH, Health and Education. Our programmes in the region focus on emergency response and humanitarian assistance, along with longer term resilience building. Based on our theory of change we work with communities, Civil Society Organizations, service providers and governmental bodies. Our aim is to build capacities for resilient and sustainable future of the communities we serve.
The position combines various key capacities:
- Strategic leadership, impact and contribution.
- Programmatic management.
- Risk/ Crisis Management and issues resolution.
- Communications and Coordination.
- People Management.
Delivered through various key duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the development and implementation of IsraAID’s regional strategy in light of the organizational mandate, strategy and workplans.
- Accompany IsraAID country representatives in their efforts to accomplish IsraAID’s humanitarian country mission in the region, including operational support and Capacity Building activities.
- Accompany and oversee the development and implementation of country strategies and programs.
- Support HQ departments and act as a liaison between HQ and country offices in activities in conjunction with the regional country operation.
- Take active part in the development of the programs department’s capacity and proficiency.
- Representation among various networks and stakeholders
Country Level: Accompany and oversee all aspects of IsraAID’s operations in their country offices to ensure the delivery of quality programs to targeted groups:
- Provide methodological and technical guidance and support to country teams in the development of multi-annual country strategies and projects development, working towards the technical and methodological standardization of processes and tools.
- Oversee and review programmatic and organizational progress, milestones, and achievements, modify and redesign when appropriate.
- Ensure regular reporting and documentation of projects implemented in countries of responsibility.
- Liaise and coordinate, as well as ensure smooth communications between HQ focal people and the CO.
- Financial, administrative and operational backstopping
- Develop capacity and backstopping support to CO in the development of partnerships, relationships with donors and submission of proposals
Accompany IsraAID country representatives in their efforts to accomplish IsraAID’s humanitarian mission in the region, including operational support and capacity building activities.
- Conduct regular virtual and frontal meetings with country representatives and program managers for ongoing supervision and oversight in countries of direct supervision.
- Conduct orientation for new staff members in countries of leadership and volunteers as per the necessary skills required in countries of direct supervision.
- Conduct debriefing sessions with program staff/long term volunteers for feedback purpose.
Regional Level: Increase IsraAID presence and footprint in Europe, Asia-Pacific Region
- Develop and implement of the regional strategy and workplans
- Increase IsraAID presence and linkages within regional networks and platforms, and participate in relevant working groups and consortiums
- Identify and develop regional partnerships
- Initiate secure and implement regional programs, including cross border programs
- Lead cross regional collaboration and learning within the organization
Global/HQ: Support HQ departments and act as a liaison between HQ and country offices in activities in conjunction with the regional country operation.
- Provide necessary information to financial department for financial project reports.
- Provide updates and reports to partnerships department for donor updates.
- Provide information and support to DevComms department for the preparation of program related materials.
- Provide legal department with information regarding programs for the assembly of partnership legal agreements.
- Take active part in the development of the department’s capacity and proficiency, strategies and new partnerships.
- Participate in the development of a technical data base of program development and program implementation tools appropriate for the IsraAID programming methodologies.
- Have a thorough understanding of IsraAID mission statement, organizational identity and theory of change
- Raise the profile of IsraAID, its work and country missions through active participation in Interaction forum, and external events when possible.
- Serve as advocate for the country missions and the organization
- Represent IsraAID in conferences, meetings, donors and partners meetings as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
Any other duties assigned by line management.
- MA in international development/humanitarian aid studies/ Disaster Preparedness and emergency response studies/ migration studies/ social sciences or related disciplines
- At least 10 years of experience in international development/humanitarian aid with managerial responsibilities, with at least 5 years of working experience as a CD.
- Proven experience in budget and accounts management
- Proven experience in leadership of admin and legal operational requirements.
- Establishment and set up of international operation/NGO/programming- advantage
- Languages- High proficiency in English. Second language
- Ability to travel at least 30 % of the time.
- Position will be based in HQ (Tel Aviv) or possible alternative in home location if in one IsraAID’s country offices
- Office working days: Sunday to Thursday and according to HQ working hours.
- Vacation days according to HQ annual calendar
- If based in home country, ability and availability to travel to HQ at least 4 times a year
How to apply