INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Regional Director for the Middle East
Duty station: Amman with frequent field missions (Yemen, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria)
Starting date: 01/04/23
Contract duration: 2 year (6 months probation), renewable
Reporting to: Director of Programmes
Supervision of: Deputy Regional Director, Roving Security Coordinator and Heads of Mission
Dependents: Family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is a humanitarian organisation founded in 1992, working on the frontlines of crisissituations. In its countries of operation, INTERSOS intervenes to assist the most vulnerable populationsaffected by conflicts, extreme poverty, natural and manmade disasters in challenging and hard-to-reach areas, where the humanitarian needs continue to be the greatest and where the humanitarianpresence is often weak. In such contexts, INTERSOS focuses on providing forcibly displacedpopulations and host communities with life-saving humanitarian assistance, in the areas of Protection,Health & Nutrition, as well as WASH and Shelter.
INTERSOS operations are guided by its Charter of Values and by the humanitarian principles ofhumanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence. Every intervention is characterized by thecentrality of the human being, the principle from which INTERSOS values descend. Specifically,INTERSOS is borderless, impartial, independent, sensitive to local cultures, attentive to local capacity,professional in solidarity, and transparent. INTERSOS also adheres to the Code of Conduct for theInternational Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
INTERSOS Programmes Department consists of four Regional Offices based in Amman, Dakar, Nairobi and Rome. The Programmes Department also includes the Protection and Medical Units, which provide Technical Support to INTERSOS operations. As of December 2022,INTERSOS is operational in 23 countries.
We recognize diversity as a core value for the Organization, in line with its fundamental principles.INTERSOS is therefore committed to creating an inclusive workplace environment that promotesdiversity, equality and inclusion. INTERSOS encourages applications from qualified candidates fromdiverse backgrounds, regardless of age, gender identity, race, ethnic background, sexual orientation,disability, ethnicity or nationality.
Active in the Middle East since the early 2000s, INTERSOS is present in Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and Yemen, supporting the most vulnerable categories of populations in challenging and hard-to-reach contexts, where the humanitarian needs continue to be greatest and where there is a weak humanitarian presence, with lifesaving and life sustaining assistance including protection, health, nutrition, education and WASH activities.
Teams count over a thousand national collaborators, fifty expatriate employees and supported more than a million persons in 2021.
Using data from the field to draw the attention of the humanitarian community to the vulnerabilities,
INTERSOS is an active member of the Syria INGO Forum, Yemen advocacy working group, ICVA. Its main donors are the UNHCR, the European Union, the Bureau of Humanitarian Affairs (BHA), the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation, and other institutional donors as well as private foundations.
General purpose of the position
The Regional Director represents INTERSOS in the geographic area and in collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director, is responsible for the regional planning and strategic positioning of INTERSOS while ensuring strategic planning, implementation of identified strategies and achievement of Missions objectives. The Regional Director represents the organisation in relation to third parties in the region of assignment based on directives conferred by the Director of Programmes.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The RD represents INTERSOS in the geographic area of his competence and, in collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director, has the responsibility of management, strategic planning, implementation of the strategies and achievement of missions’ objectives.
· Design strategies, define territorial areas and sectors to be privileged, programming and planning of activities together with Deputy Regional Director
· Develop Amman into a fully functional Regional Office, capable of high-level engagement within all relevant fora, to position INTERSOS to expand and consolidate relevant presence
· In collaboration with Deputy Regional Director guarantee the implementation of the regional strategies and analyse the critical factors of contexts
· Is responsible of the overall security in the geographic area of his competence and of the implementation of security protocols and policies
· Is responsible of relations with donors, stakeholders, authorities and representatives of beneficiaries and collaborate with Head of Missions and project leaders in the management of these relations
· Is responsible for the identification and elaboration of new project interventions:
- direct and support Head of Missions and project leaders in designing, setting up and implementing new projects
- in agreement with Director of Programmes approves project proposals before the submission to donors
· Follow up, in Coordination with Regional Finance Coordinator, the approval process at HQ level of project proposals before submission to the donors. Link with Director of Programmes and Secretary General for the approval of projects that involve a high risk in accordance with the provisions of the risk Analysis
· Supervise implementation of projects (constraints and rules of the donors, consistency and technical-methodological congruity, quality of resources, effectiveness of results efficiency)
· In collaboration with Deputy Regional Director and Head of Missions guarantee the application of INTERSOS and donors’ administrative procedures for the efficient and transparent management of projects, offices and countries of its competence
· In collaboration with Human Resources department supervise management of Human Resources and atmosphere in the missions:
- collaborate to the recruitment of international Human Resources of the geographical area
- motivate, direct and support managers and teams encouraging cohesion and motivation
- promote orientation and training sessions for the operators of the region
- appraise the performance of Head of Missions and is responsible to discuss the evaluation (IRP) and the achievement of objectives. Support the Head of Missions in the evaluation process of the project leaders
· Ensure full legal compliance in all countries of operation with particular attention to tax and residency requirements
· Ensure the constant and timely sharing of information and regular communication inside the Program Department to facilitate the adjustment of actions referring to coordination, monitoring and control of the project activities
Required profile and experience
Academic degree or extensive applied background in humanitarian and/or development studies, social science or other relevant qualifications. Post graduate qualifications is an advantage
Field working experience of at least seven (7) years in managing humanitarian programmes with increasing responsibilities
- Good knowledge of humanitarian architecture;
- Knowledge of the humanitarian project cycle management;
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office;
- Knowledge of the main humanitarian donors, with particular reference to DG ECHO, USAID and UN ways of working
- Willingness and availability to travel frequently, as mobility between headquarters and field projects is vital
- Adherence to INTERSOS principles and managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust, Empowerment
- Adherence to INTERSOS Code of Ethics.
- Fluency in English and French is essential; other languages are an asset
- Analytical approach, strategic thinking that translates into concrete operational implementation;
- Demonstrated leadership skills;
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive relationships;
- Excellent people management skills;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Dynamic and proactive, as well as solution oriented approach, with a strong focus on innovation
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/italia/#intersosorg-vacancies-italy/vacancy-details/63a59941da35e3001241e6e7/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.