The position is to be filled as of May 1, 2023, with an unlimited contract duration. Employment location will be preferably Bonn Bad Godesberg, Germany, Welthungerhilfe headquarters.
As Regional Director for East and Southern Africa, MENA you will further develop and manage strategically the regional program portfolio based on the Welthungerhilfe (WHH) Strategy “One Planet – Zero Hunger” and according to the dual mandate of Humanitarian Assistance and development cooperation. You will assume the leadership of the Regional Directorate located in Bonn and the Country Directors in the region based on the values of Welthungerhilfe. In doing so, you will maximize WHH's impact in the region and contribute to the overall development of the organization.
- Overall responsibility to further develop, implement and ensure funding for the WHH regional program portfolio in accordance with WHH´s global strategy
- Lead the Regional Directorate and the Country Directors within the region, ensuring relevant programs, sound partnerships as well as efficient and adequate structures
- Create a working environment for high performing teams to operate and facilitate a trustful and open communication within and between country teams to promote mutual learning and support
- Actively participate in the global leadership team and shape WHH's global strategy
- Proactively solve upcoming operational issues, ensure compliance, and manage risks
- Be responsible for the Security management in the region
- Represent Welthungerhilfe at events, in relevant forums and networks and advocate both in Germany and internationally
- Collaborate closely with other Units in the WHH Programme, Finance & Administration and Marketing Department as well as the Policy and Innovation Unit
- Foster and develop partnerships with external donors, partner organizations, research institutions and other stakeholders to create synergies and leverage complementarity
- A university or polytechnic degree in a field relevant to the position
- Several years of professional experience in the context of international development and/or humanitarian aid, regional experience in East and Southern Africa and MENA is an asset
- Proven track record of excellent strategic leadership
- Very strong in analytical and systemic thinking and simultaneously strong ability to solve operational issues when necessary
- Strong negotiation skills and decision-making ability, also in difficult situations
- Sound communication skills, high willingness to cooperate and ability to foster solutions in a matrix structure
- Open to innovation and able to lead a team that can meet the challenges of the future and adapt quickly
- Willingness to travel to fragile contexts
- Excellent spoken and written English language skills and a good command of German and French
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. This includes flexible working hours as well as working from home. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under "Our benefits".
How to apply
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by February 13, 2023 by following this link. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.