Global Communities works at the intersection of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development and Financial Inclusion to save lives, advance equity and secure strong futures. We support communities at the forefront of their own development in more than 35 countries, partnering with local leaders, governments, civil society and the private sector to achieve a shared vision of a more just, prosperous and equitable global community.
Global Communities is seeking a Program Officer to join the Sustainable Development team at the headquarters in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland. The primary responsibility of the Program Officer is to provide Headquarters (HQ) program and operational support to specific countries and programs within a designated portfolio. The Program Officer leads HQ support across the project life cycle for the smaller programs within the portfolio, requesting Program Manager support as needed. This includes providing first line Program Management and operational support to the in-country team and working with other stakeholders within and outside the Global Operations Department as appropriate. On assigned programs, s/he is responsible for award management and is the primary point of contact with the donors. S/he is the primary point of contact at Headquarters (HQ) for assigned program information, status, performance, donor requirements, and communication. The Program Officer will also support the Program Manager with more complex programs in the portfolio, undertaking specific tasks as requested.
The Program Officer will be responsible for developing and presenting country-wide financial reports for the assigned portfolio. S/he will also support the Program Manager with the roll-out of crosscutting, country-wide programmatic or operational initiatives.
As an organization working to advance public health, Global Communities has an obligation to model best practices and to do all we can to protect each other, our partners and the communities where we work. To ensure the continuity and effectiveness of our business operations, Global Communities is adopting a policy to safeguard the health of our visitors, employees, families, and the larger global community from Covid-19. Effective January 3, 2022, all U.S.-based Global Communities employees are required to provide proof of having received full dosage of COVID-19 vaccine that is FDA approved, approved for Emergency use authorization, or have an approved medical or religious exemption on file with Global Communities, as a condition of employment.
Responsibility Area: Program Management and Operations
Lead HQ support and oversight for small programs within the assigned country portfolio under guidance/direction from Program Manager.
- Oversees HQ support for assigned programs, including award management, contracts and sub-award management, and financial management among others. Coordinates with relevant HQ stakeholders (including other regional teams in Global Operations/Sustainable Development, Finance, People & Culture, General Counsel, Security, IT, recruiting, etc.).
- Identifies concerns and proposes solutions to programmatic, operational and systemic challenges to a program’s success. Communicates internally on program and operational successes and challenges, including escalating any major challenges, risks, or issues to the Program Manager.
- Maintains effective relationships with donor HQ representatives, including with the AO/AORs. Requests and secures donor approvals as needed (e.g., prior approvals, deadline extensions, deliverable approvals).
- Provides first-line donor compliance support across the award life cycle for assigned programs. Ensure compliance with contractual requirements, donor regulations and internal policies and procedures.
- Reviews and edits donor reports and other program deliverables (e.g., workplan) for operational soundness and to ensure quality, compliance, and timely submission.
- Ensure adherence to GC and donor minimum program quality standards.
- Conducts visits to country offices and program sites to provide technical and operational support
- Ensures that key documents and content are updated in GC’s knowledge management system (SharePoint) and that lessons learned and best practices are being captured.
Supports the Program Manager with more complex programs in the assigned country portfolio, as assigned. This will vary across programs but may include support with:
- Procurement, contract and sub-award management
- Updating program information, status, and performance
- Donor reports and deliverables
Supports the Program Manager with crosscutting, country-wide initiatives and Analysis
- Leads financial support and analysis for the portfolio
- Provides Financial Analysis for programs within the country team’s portfolio in consultation with in-country and HQ finance professionals. Provides analysis and reports to PM and Senior Regional Manager flagging key concerns , issues, and management challenges.
- Leads the fiscal year and life-of-program budget review process at HQ.
- Reviews Monthly draw to the field
- Leads financial support and analysis for the portfolio
Supports the roll out of new systems, processes, and initiatives, including providing training to the in-country teams
Support and/or review pricing and cost realism for new proposals for countries within assigned portfolio
Serve on surge support teams as needed
Undertakes all other duties and projects as may be assigned from time to time.
POSITION SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Able and willing to travel internationally up to 15-20% annually; willing to be deployed for 1-2 months at a time dependent on COVID-19 safety and travel restrictions.
- Promote a culture of excellence, inclusion, learning, support, diversity and innovation.
- Under the direction of the Senior Regional Manager and/or Program Manager, support other projects or organizational initiatives, as appropriate
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management, international humanitarian and/or development programming, grants Administration to include procurement and award/sub-award management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of international development programming, project management, and grants administration.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Suite. Comfortable working with large amounts of data and Excel spreadsheets.
- Ability to manage, track and report on budgets and program financial data.
- Experience working successfully in cross-cultural and multi-disciplinary settings.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, alongside the ability to interpret documents and spreadsheets, analyze information, and develop strategies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, written and oral. Foreign language skills preferred.
- Ability to work effectively in an atmosphere of shifting priorities and deadline pressure.
- Able to work in a team environment.
- Accuracy, attention to detail.
- Ability to read and interpret documents and ability to sit at a computer and operate a keyboard.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline and a minimum of two years of related work experience or a minimum of six years of related work experience.
- Relevant volunteer and/or internships will be considered experience.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A passion for the mission and values of Global Communities
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
Global Communities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
How to apply
Program Officer, Americas in Silver Spring, Maryland | Careers at US, Headquarters (icims.com)