For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection, and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Post Title: Operations Officer
Duty Station: San Salvador, El Salvador
Please note this is a National Officer position, only Salvadoran citizens will be considered.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, an advocate.
As a Strategic Business Partner, the incumbent will be accountable for operations functions, facilitate change, provide risk informed, solution-focused Analysis, advice and services and contribute to programme and management decisions for delivering results for children in specific operational contexts. Operations Officer will accomplish this by:
- Facilitating services in the functional areas of operations support: budget, financial management and reporting, Facilities Management, Administration, supply and logistics management, information and Communications Technology, human resources, and safety and security;
- Supporting the line manager to implement career development, opportunities for staff;
- Acting as member of relevant Senior Management Teams, representing the organizational risks, governance systems and policies, and supporting results based management.
- Understanding business needs for the office, to propose viable solutions aimed at value for money.
- Providing contribution to CPD, CPMP, AMP and support to Results Based Management and implementation using Value for Money criteria.
- Supporting the fundamentals of ICT management, information security and controls;
- Supporting supply and logistics strategies and interventions to meet programmatic needs while ensuring Value for Money (VfM), including procurement of fit for purpose products and services.
- Providing regular feedback on risks and achievements of operations functions in the office;
- Supporting the management of office premises and facilities with a specific focus on inclusive accessibility, eco sustainability and common premises;
- Supporting the country office during external and internal audit reviews, contributing with audit observations and monitoring implementation of recommendations.
- Facilitating business transactions processed by GSSC from a perspective of Efficiency, Performance, Risk Management and Fraud prevention
- Supporting the management of PSFR operations, where applicable.
How can you make a difference?
We are looking for a dynamic and innovative Operations Officer to support UNICEF’s El Salvador office in the areas described below, seasoned professionals are encouraged to apply! Valuing People: Implement people resources strategies to promote technical competence and foster career progression and retention of a “fit for purpose”/ agile workforce
- Facilitate an environment of management excellence, staff well-being and accessibility and inclusion through implementation of strategies, policies, procedures.
- Implement solutions related to people management and office culture.
- Support training strategy and requisite plans to bring about changes in knowledge, skills, abilities and mind sets for Operations staff.
- Keep abreast of industry standards in management and finance and share best practices and knowledge learned within the office.
- Support Excellence in Operations in UNICEF derived from the five strategic pillars.
- Ensure effective identification and use of resources in various concrete Value for Money (VfM) areas, including eco-efficiency and inclusivity, common premises, costing, results-based budgeting financial monitoring etc.
- Support the financial oversight management, monitoring and reporting of all the country programme budget- and where applicable private sector fundraising budgets; make analysis and recommendations as needed.
- Support implementation of various modalities of valuing resources through financing modalities such as budgeting and pre-financing modalities for supplies, cash-based transfer etc.
- Implement Supply plan for the office and stay abreast of the regional strategies.
- Support the office with up-to-date information to make operational and programmatic risk informed decisions and improve performance, with the support of the enterprise Governance, Risk and Compliance (eGRC) platform.
- Contribute and participate in testing of business continuity plans to ensure UNICEF organizational resilience to disaster, risks and staff safety and security as well as Emergency Preparedness and Response to humanitarian situations.
- Participate in review of internal controls and policies/guidance included in the Regulatory Framework, support appropriate implementation policies and procedures and provide feedback on policy and internal controls as appropriate.
- Support implementation mandatory anti-fraud systems, processes and actions, and share anti-fraud achievements within the office.
- Support mitigation of risks of engagement with external partners via appropriate, risk-informed due diligence.
- Participate in the review of Operations processes and recommend measures to minimize cost, reduce duplication of work and maximize efficiencies while creating an environment of smarter controls to render the organization ready to respond to programme needs.
- Contribute to improving IT-enabled business processes to increase productivity and collaboration, better knowledge management, and ensure effective use of UNICEF assets.
- Provide contribution to CPMP and review operational structures in collaboration with Regional Chiefs of Operations and the Strategic Business Support unit in DFAM.
- Provide Technical Support and recommendations on HACT implementation, including, advice approach to undertaking spot checks, follow-up actions required on result of financial assurance activities.
- Support UNICEF Office resource mobilization partners from donor negotiation and formulation of partnership agreements and contracts through written financial reporting, resolve discrepancies and ensure donor accountability and transparency.
- Contribute to UNICEF Office resource mobilization through programme proposals, written financial reporting, and analysis of discrepancies.
- Contribute to developing private sector partnerships especially in middle income countries.
- Engage as stakeholders in the UN Reform, facilitating Business Operating Services (BOS) and proactively paving the way for a potential “one back office” in country offices.
A University Degree (Bachelor’s) in one of the following areas is required: business management, financial management, accounting, public finance, related operations function (Supply Chain, Human Resources, Information Technology, International Business, Project management, etc.) A professional license from internationally recognized institutions is an asset.
A minimum of eight years of relevant work experience in the Operations and/or Budget Programme areas of UNICEF may be accepted in lieu of the university degree.
2. Work Experience
A minimum of 2 years of professional experience, at the national and/or international level, is required, specifically in one or more operations management areas including budget; financial management and reporting; facilities management; administration; supply and logistics management; information and communication technology; human resources.
Experience in a UN system agency, large private or public company, or experience working in a developing country and/or humanitarian/ emergency context is an asset.
Experience in working with corporate ERPs (Enterprise Resource Planning) and IPSAS (International Public Sector Accounting Standards) is highly desirable.
Understanding of Results-based Management is a requirement.
Experience in supporting successful client-oriented work units is an asset.
Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications is required.
3. Language Proficiency
Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies: build and maintain partnerships, demonstrate self-awareness and ethical awareness, innovate and embrace change, drive to achieve results for impact, manage ambiguity and complexity, think and act strategically, work collaboratively with others; nurture, lead and manage people.
The functional competencies required for this post are: Deciding and Initiating Action, Following Instructions and Procedures, Entrepreneurial Thinking, Analyzing.
Other skills: Emotional Intelligence, managing complexity, and change UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Please note this is a National Officer position, only Salvadoran citizens will be considered.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credentials and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Please note that the National Officers (NOs) are locally recruited staff and therefore, candidates are personally responsible for any travel and accommodation arrangements.
QUALIFIED MEN ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and submitted to technical tests, as well as personal interviews.
UNICEF is a smoking-free environment