PATH is a global nonprofit dedicated to achieving health equity. With more than 40 years of experience forging multisector partnerships, and with expertise in science, economics, technology, advocacy, and dozens of other specialties, PATH develops and scales up innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing health challenges.
The Africa Region leverages its internal and global expertise to drive transformative and innovative practices that reflect the African context. By mobilizing our pre-existing talent within the region and working with our global teams, we take innovation to scale by working alongside our Ministries of Health to reduce health disparities. With potential for expansion, the division currently works across seven country offices and three project offices distributed among four Hubs - Southern, Western, Central and East Africa.
PATH is seeking to recruit an Operations Director for the Africa Region. The candidate should have experience in developing and executing operations strategies and frameworks and an excellent understanding of process workflows and optimizing systems for efficiencies and effectiveness from a country level perspective.
The Operations Director – Africa Region will report to the Chief of Africa Region (CAR) and will be part of the Africa Regional Management team. The Africa Regional Management team includes: The Finance Business Partner (FBP); four Sub-Regional Hub leaders; the Africa Region Director of Technical Strategy and Business Development and the Africa Region Director – External Affairs (EXA); and will be closely supported by the Regional Operations and Coordination Team based in Nairobi, Seattle and Washington, D.C. In close collaboration with these services, the Operations Director - Africa Region will ensure optimal performance, compliance and effective program implementation.
This position will be accountable for leading the development and execution of the region’s operations strategic plan, developing and improving operational procedures and ensure continuous process improvement and leading the knowledge management and shared learning for scale and impact with particular focus on country offices. Additionally, this position will be responsible for optimizing efficiencies, re-engineering processes that support critical operations functions across the region and developing a data driven culture. He/She should have strong operational leadership skills in a matrixed environment and a developed understanding of the operational needs of a global health organization, along with insights into how to help teams improve efficiency and outcomes. This position will need to demonstrate proactiveness; be strategic as necessary and be willing to overcome resistance and stay the course amongst challenges. He/She must understand the needs of our partners and donors. He/she must understand what defines operational excellence from a country- and project-level perspective.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
Objective: Manage and improve local practices in accordance with PATH policies and procedures, donor requirements, and country specific government requirements.
- Collaborate with global and country procurement teams and develop tools and process for ongoing supply chain risk assessments to identify areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; develop and implement compliance initiative plans for resolution of problematic issues.
- Partner with the Office of Grants and Contracts (OGC), Legal, and Finance to ensure that outgoing agreements, incoming awards, and procurement practices are implemented in accordance with PATH policies and procedures.
- Collaborate and develop controls systems and monitoring organizational processes to ensure procurement and contracting is compliant with policy and standard operating procedure requirements.
- Ensure regional compliance with all relevant local laws and regulations, including those regarding labor, taxes, human resources management and registration.
- Oversee regional Facilities Management and ensure all PATH resources, including office space and equipment, are in good order and adequate for smooth running of the country program and creation of a conducive environment for staff.
- Partner with the Regional HR business partners and recruiters to ensure that all transactional HR matters are effectively managed.
- Facilitates the development and review process of policies and procedures and maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes.
- Seek to find synergies among country offices and identify mechanisms for country teams to share information and operationalize PATH’s strategy and objectives.
- Work closely with the hub leaders to identify talent gaps and build the internal capacity; identify opportunities to develop staff and guide performance leaders to leverage existing tools, such as stretch assignments, promotions, training, etc.
- Provide leadership to country and project administrators to ensure best practices are applied across all teams and efficiencies are gained.
- Participate in recruiting and onboarding of country site administrators and senior project administrators.
- Collaborate with Global Risk and Compliance team in designing and implementing an integrated risk management process and framework for the organization as appropriate.
- Be the risk management focal person for the Africa region, which includes coordinating country risk assessment, identification, and Analysis, monitoring implementation of mitigation actions and reporting.
- Coordinate policy and compliance audits, which will include liaising with internal lead and external auditors and ensuring required audits are conducted and findings and recommendations are fully implemented.
- Liaise with local accounting/legal firm(s) as required regarding office registration and tax-exempt status; track annual registration renewals and tax requirements; and maintain office registration and required employment documentation.
Finance and Budgeting
- Work with the Finance Business Partner (FBP) to mentor a team of in-country finance staff, supporting their development and alignment with PATH procedures and systems
- As necessary support development of budgets for proposals, including costing information and liaising with project teams globally.
- Support development of the regional budget and planning process for the Africa region (budgeting, period forecasting and reporting), in conjunction with regional FBP, local country leadership, finance staff and local programs.
- Work with the FBP, hub leaders, country directors and headquarters staff to monitor country and facilities overhead performance.
Regional expansion, Business Development and Reporting
- Collaborate with various stakeholders in coordinating landscaping exercises and development of business cases that leads to expansion and registration into new countries.
- Collaborate with business development team to update and distribute a pipeline report for the region that informs the region of program strategy as well as projects across the region. This report should be flexible and can be cascaded to both the CAR and country teams.
- Define, generate, and analyze a regular set of standard donor financial reports that drive improvements to the donor process and increase regional leadership team knowledge; Oversee production of customary reports, such as financial, government and donor reports. Monitor, track and support external reporting to donors for quality, timeliness, and accuracy.
- As appropriate, participate in development of grant proposals.
- Serve as a visionary partner in identifying country offices with significant pain points, create solutions to improve the program performance, and drive critical change initiatives in partnership with the regional leadership team.
- Apply analytical methods to inform ideas and decision-making approaches to pain points identified.
- Work with regional leadership to define and track KPIs for operations and ensure KPIs are on track and are in alignment with strategic goals.
- Carry out operations capacity assessments and recommend improvements including changes to structures, staff Capacity Building initiatives and process improvements as necessary.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD), preferably in Public Policy, Economics, Public Administration.
- 10+ years of work experience and proven track record of results and commitment to excellent output.
- Proven ability to lead and motivate teams in a dynamic, multicultural environment.
- Willingness to travel up to 50% to different Africa offices, as needed and work with remote colleagues.
- Ability to conceive, execute, and lead strategic initiatives, but also high attention to detail and a hands-on approach to running an organization, as appropriate.
- Experience in a well-run global organization. Familiarity with latest research (in behavioral economics, organizational management, and other fields) on how to develop a best-in-class organization.
- Strong communication skills (ability to be clear, yet tactful).
- Ability to navigate people and policy decisions with nuance and discretion.
- Familiarity with MS Office, and ideally other relevant systems such ERP packages, and Salesforce.
- Fluency in English (French a plus)
This job is opened to any existing PATH Africa Office
PATH is dedicated to building an inclusive workforce where diversity is valued.
PATH is an equal opportunity employer. Every qualified applicant will be considered for employment. PATH does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or orientation, genetic information, age, national origin, marital status, disability status, political ideology, military or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
*PATH has become aware of scams involving false job offers. *
Please be advised:
- PATH will never ask for a fee during any stage of the recruitment process.
- All active jobs are advertised directly on our career's page.
- Official PATH emails will always arrive from an @path.org or @silkroad.com address.
Please report any suspicious communications to firstname.lastname@example.org**.**
DRC, Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya, Senegal, Tanzania, Zambia
How to apply
Kindly Submit your application through the following link: https://bit.ly/3IBv5oT