Vacancy no.: MAPUTO/DC/NO/2018/04
Publication date: 30 October 2018
Application deadline (midnight Zambian time): 20 November 2018
Job ID: 745
Organization Unit: CO-Lusaka
Contract type: Short Term
Contract duration: 6 months
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for National Officer positions is subject to specific local recruitment and eligibility criteria. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who are Mozambican nationals.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A 6 months short-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level gross salary for this position is US$ 31,359 yearly.
MozTrabalha is a 5-year project supported by Sweden that aims at supporting ILO constituents in their task of creating more and better jobs for all Mozambicans. The project has two components, one aiming to changes at the policy level and another one aiming at work at the micro level. Three priority sectors and three priority provinces were selected as part of a consultative process, namely: catering, cashew and construction materials.
MozTrabalha puts forward a series of well-tested tools and strategies in order to attain results in those sectors, both at macro and micro level. Among these, one of the most powerful cross cutting strategy is ILO’s Employment Intensive Approach (EIA). EIA is intended to promote the increase in labour intensity of infrastructure projects, replacing the use of capital where it makes economic sense and without any loss in quality or undue delays. More specifically, speaking about MozTrabalha, the ILO will provide technical support the Government of Mozambique towards mainstreaming pro-employment investment strategies in the national development policies and programmes, particularly in the infrastructure sector. Through EIA MozTrabalha will also ensure that sustainable public procurement policies and legal framework are applied to increase participation of small-scale enterprises and communities in infrastructure delivery. In addition, the EIA will be implemented in combination with the promotion of the construction materials value-chain. The ILO would like to recruit a National Project Officer (NPO).
Under the overall responsibility of the ILO Lusaka Country Office Director for Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique, the Natiional Project Coordinator (NPC) w ill directly report to the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) under the MozTrabalha Project in Maputo. The NPC will work in coordination with Technical Advisor for pro-employment policy, other project staff and national partners involved in the coordination and implementation of employment-intensive public employment programmes . S/he will also work closely with the Employment Intensive Investment Programme (EIIP) Specialist attached to the ILO Decent Work Team in Pretoria .
Description of Duties
Select duties below only those correspond to the needs of this position. Add specific duties if necessary. Duties should reflect the activities and processes required to achieve the key results within the project main objectives. Use short, concise sentences and action verbs, no jargons or acronyms. The max total number of duties should be 10 – 12.
- Design, supervise, monitor and evaluate demonstration pilot infrastructural projects that make use of EI techniques and locally sourced alternative materials.
- Provide inputs for a variety of technical documents such as capacity gap analysis, employment impact assessments or employment projection models, among others.
- Contribute to drafting procurement plans for infrastructure projects.
- Assist in producing discussion documents, promotional and training materials as well as simplified technical tools to assist in the development and promotion of employment intensive infrastructure investment policies and strategies for adoption by national partners.
- Assist in the delivery of training in different topics connected to the use of labour intensive techniques in the construction sector to a variety of partners, including policy makers, private sector, small-scale contractors and unskilled workers.
- Follow up and support technical and vocational education (TVET) colleges and sector-based technical training institutions in packaging and rolling out innovative training modules that respond to current national needs.
- Assist in the design and implementation of activities to increase the participation of women in the construction sector and reduce discrimination of women in the job market.
- Participate in the preparation and conduct of conferences, seminars, workshops, training sessions and consultative meetings at national level to better integrate employment in national investment policies and strategies. The official is required to under take missions to project sites in Mozambique and directly supervise the delivery of infrastructure projects financed by MozTrabalha.
- Ensure the visibility of the Government of Mozambique, Government of Sweden and the ILO in all project activities.
- Assist in preparing periodic and ad hoc reports on the status of the ILO technical assistance intervention as well as technical papers and actively disseminate the same widely.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
First level university degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or equivalent relevant qualification.
At least one- two years of professional experience at the national level of managing public or private projects in the construction or civil engineering sector. Experience conducting technical tests and supervision of works. Knowledge of labour intensive techniques for infrastructure delivery. Experience with ILO or other UN agency, particularly on technical cooperation projects in the construction or employment promotion sectors, or with Government agencies or departments engaged infrastructure delivery, will be of advantage.
Excellent knowledge of English and good knowledge of Portuguese
Candidates interested in the position should consider that the nine core competencies of the ILO, listed below, may be evaluated during the selection process: Integrity and transparency, Sensitivity to diversity, Orientation to learning and knowledge sharing, Client orientation, Communication, Orientation to change, Takes responsibility for performance, Quality orientation and Collaboration. Among these nine competences, the following are of particular importance for this position: Collaboration, Integrity and transparency, Takes responsbility for performance, Quality orientation.
- Knowledge of programme and budget, project administration and evaluation concepts and procedures and of the mandate and structure of labour market institutions in Mozambique.
- Knowledge of the office’s financial rules and regulations
- Good knowledge of the context and challenges for the project areas of expertise
- Strong analytical skills and ability to justify requirements and approaches to problem resolution and good drafting skills
- Ability to design and understand technical documents, interpret and supervise material or structural tests and supervise construction or civil engineering works.
- Ability to adapt, learn and apply new techniques and innovate in the use of new materials or construction techniques to labour intensive infrastructure projects
- Ability to perform employment requirement projections for infrastructure projects
- Ability to interact with Government, Civil Society, Academia and the Media in Mozambique
- Good ability to interpret project information and to identify and analyze problems with implementation
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to clarify information
- Demonstrate collaborative and team work experience and ability to work effectively with a multicultural and interdisciplinary team as well as work on his/her own initiative
- Ability to work independently, quickly, precisely, and take initiative and responsibility
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet the deadline
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, web-browsers and database applications
- Ability to deal with people with tact and diplomacy.
Assessed candidates who will be considered as appointable but not selected for this position can also be offered to be assigned on another temporary position at the same or at a lower grade provided that said candidates possesses the minimum qualifications for this position.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account – @ilo.org – should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
ILO – International Labour Organization
Other Jobs at the Same Organization (4)
- Secrétaire principal (administration), Geneva,Switzerland ending on 08 Aug 2019, Thursday
- Secretario/a superior (Administración), Geneva, Switzerland ending on 08 Aug 2019, Thursday
- Asistente Administrativo, Montevideo, Uruguay ending on 02 Aug 2019, Friday
- National Project Coordinator, Lusaka, Zambia ending on 01 Aug 2019, Thursday