- Organization:Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- Ending:26 Dec 2018, Wednesday
- Posted:06 Dec 2018, Thursday
- Location: santiago, chile
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 1801391
NATIONAL PROFESSIONAL OFFICER (Press and Content)
Job Posting : 05/Dec/2018
Closure Date : 26/Dec/2018, 11:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : RLC
Job Type : Staff position
Type of Requisition : NPO (National Professional Officer)
Grade Level : N-1.
Primary Location : Chile-Santiago
Duration : Fixed term: one year with possibility of extension
Post Number : 2007038
The Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (RLC) promotes the eradication of hunger, food insecurity, malnutrition and extreme poverty by providing technical advice and assistance to member countries.
The position is located in the Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean. The purpose of the post is to contribute to develop and implement FAO’s Corporate Communications Strategy, contributing to FAO’s five Strategic Programmes (SPs) and three Regional Initiatives (RIs) to position the Organization as the lead UN agency effectively combating hunger and malnutrition, as well as ensuring that knowledge and information is available to member countries and individuals who require
The National Professional Officer will work under the general guidance of the Assistant Director General, ADG-RR, and the direct supervision of the Communications Officer
Contribute to the development and strengthening of internal communication, web publishing and media-relations activities of the Organization
Effective and efficient coordination and provision of the technical and operational support of the programme and project activities
- Assists in liaising and cooperating with government authorities and national and international institutions in the areas of FAO’s activities in the country and in liaising with other UN agencies;
- Provides support to promoting the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization’s mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including development and maintenance of communication tools (e.g. website, press releases and publications) and supports the implementation of FAO’s regulatory frameworks (e.g. Codex Alimentarius and Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries) in the country;
- Collects, consolidates and maintains country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries including information on external aid in FAO’s corporate systems and participate in monitoring changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector;
- Assists with the production of technical, economic and policy studies and assists in the development of country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF);
- Assists in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals and monitor and review the status of programme/project implementation to ensure that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document; when necessary, propose corrective measures to overcome operational constraints;
- Briefs, trains and supervises staff regarding all aspects of the job.
- Ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements and accuracy and diligence of the work provided.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with main news agencies and media in the Region.
- Serves as copy-editor and editor for FAO’s Regional Communications Network, editing articles, training spokespersons and storytelling workshops.
- Contributes to enhance FAO’s presence in the public opinion and that of all its member countries in the regional media.
- Unifies FAO’s public discourse on the fight against hunger and malnutrition; family farming and inclusive systems for sustainable rural development; sustainable use of natural resources, climate change adaptation and disaster risk management; strengthening the organization’s relationship with its member countries, donors, stakeholders, partners and the general public.
- Drafts messages to reach FAO’s target audiences and translate FAO’s broad mandate into news that will attract media attention and public engagement.
- Prepares replies to media requests and trends, creating a steady stream of media outputs and information products ‘press releases, editorial opinions (OpEd), communication campaigns, information for social media, multimedia products ‘ while closely monitors their impact.
- Reviews and updates the information content of the regional website in multi-language outputs of all press releases, with a strong emphasis on English for the Caribbean and Portuguese for Brazil.
- Supports the capacity of the Regional Office to interact through social media, strengthen internal communications and improves the standard of regional publications and information products.
- Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
National of ChileAdvanced university degree in Journalism, Communications or related field. One year of relevant experience in planning, development and implementation of press and communication contents, activities and strategies. Working knowledge (Level C) of Spanish and limited knowledge (Level B) of English
Results FocusTeamworkCommunicationBuilding Effective RelationshipsKnowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Extent and relevance of planning, development and implementation of press and communication contents, activities and strategies. Extent and relevance of experience in writing press releases, OpEd, feature stories and messages for social media and webpage articles. Extent and relevance of experience in script-writing (videos, clips, news features), text creation and editing. Familiarity with subjects related to regional food security, including but not limited to: hunger and malnutrition, family farming and inclusive systems for sustainable rural development and sustainable use of natural resources, climate change and disaster risk management, fishery, forestry and Sustainable Development Goals. Knowledge of Portuguese will be considered an asset. Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
FAO – Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Other Jobs at the Same Organization (10)
Especialista en Derecho a la alimentación, Montevideo, Uruguay ending on 25 Dec 2018, Tuesday
Communications Associate, Hyderabad, Pakistan ending on 19 Dec 2018, Wednesday
Statistics Specialist, Luanda, Angola ending on 21 Dec 2018, Friday
Spécialiste National du SIG, Praia, Cabo Verde ending on 04 Jan 2019, Friday
Spécialiste en Organisations Communautaires de Développement Locaux, Praia, Cabo Verde ending on 04 Jan 2019, Friday
PILOTO, Guatemala City, Guatemala ending on 19 Dec 2018, Wednesday
UX Savvy Full Stack Developer, Rome, Italy ending on 17 Dec 2018, Monday
User Experience Designer, Rome, Italy ending on 17 Dec 2018, Monday
Fisheries technical specialists (various), Various Locations, Rome, Italy ending on 25 Apr 2019, Thursday
International Consultant, Praia, Cabo Verde ending on 20 Dec 2018, Thursday