- Job number: SRH05150
- Domaine de competence: Other
- Statut: Salarié
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Country: Syria
Contract Type: Short term contract
ABOUT THE MISSION
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 6 months, with possible extension
Mission: SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) has been working in Syria since 2012. The mission employs nearly 300 national staff, and more than 40 expatriates, and has a 28 million EUR budget forecasted for 2023. There are 3 implementing offices in Syria (2 in Northeast Syria/NES, 1 in North West Syria/NWS) with the Coordination based in Amman - Jordan. This position is based in Amman, Jordan.
The NES programs provide an integrated assistance in the WASH, NFI, Shelter and Livelihoods sectors to displaced populations and host communities affected by the conflict. NWS programs are remotely managed and provide WASH and NFI/Winterization support to affected populations.
Type and content of program: Syria mission is dedicated to work in challenging context to provide lifesaving activities to the population affected by the conflict. A turn from lifesaving activities to more post-Emergency/development has also been undertaken.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Supervise all MEAL and IM activities and responsibilities of the NWS operations;Manage, monitor and build capacity of MEAL members in MEAL technical areas including areas with specific support to projects and programs.
- Contributes to the centralization and harmonization of MEAL tools and processes on the area of intervention, under the lead of Coordinator" id="link" class="link">Meal Coordinator
- Provides a methodological support to all program teams on technical questions linked to MEAL and cross-cutting issues such as: Design of M&E plan, quantitative and qualitative Data Collection, measure of indicators, complaint response mechanism, do no harm Analysis etc.
- In collaboration with the MEAL Coordinator, looks over the quality and relevance of internal monitoring and evaluation activities, recommendations and analysis produced by his/her department (studies, maps…)
- Contribute to promote collaborative learning for the project and base program:
- Provides support training of program teams within his/her fields of expertise
- Contributes to institutional knowledge building and improvement of MEAL methods and techniques
- Closely supervise FCRM mechanisms to support projects including analysis and reporting
In collaboration with MEAL Coordinator and together project managers, work on reporting templates and reporting following reporting schedule.
The main challenges:
- Important volume of work
- Challenging environment of intervention with high security constraint
Systematic inclusion of MEAL activities into each program
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- MEAL dept. management and Capacity Building
- Participate in revision and new proposal development expected in the coming months. With major focus on sectoral need assessments, beneficiary breakdowns, logframe and MEAL plans etc.
- Contribute to the action plans from MEAL strategy implementation (with a strong focus on accountability and learning)
- Perform post monitoring/ distribution surveys, analysis and reporting
- Contribute to kick-off meetings for the new projects.
- Contribute to Market Based Approach and Economic Recovery and Market System Programming approach for project in NWS
Ensure efficient communication flows towards implementation teams to ensure MEAL outputs are integrated in programming
Responsibilities and main activities:
Project relevance, quality and design
- Contribute to establishing assessments.
- Contribute to define Solidarités International’s local strategy and contribute to the annual programming by proposing new activities
- Organize and facilitate evaluation missions
- Propose a technical approach and a financial, human and logistical scope for the programs to be implemented
- Write the technical annexes and chapters (including the logical framework) for the proposals
- Implement activities in compliance with the annual operational strategy, Solidarités International’s technical requirements and the financial donors’ criteria
- Evaluate the relevance of the activities carried out, as well as the effectiveness of the interventions and their appropriateness with respect to contextual developments and the populations’ needs
- Propose adjustments to the programs, if necessary
- Ensure that the programs under his/her supervision achieve the required results
- Ensure that program objectives meet sustainability requirements and, if required, compliance with established norms and standards
Participate in building the MEAL teams’ abilities with respect to techniques or new methodologies
Implementation and operational monitoring
- Plan activities and MEAL cycles for MEAL (hiring, purchasing, etc.) in the light of established objectives
- Used the project management, monitoring and evaluation tools for MEAL, particularly the planning and monitoring timeline
- Propose and implement quality criteria and monitoring indicators for MEAL program
- Support and advise to the base’s logistical department for the purchase of specific materials for MEAL activities
- Plan and supervise the MEAL program implementation he/she is in charge of, being sure to meet deadlines and adhere to predefined technical specifications
- Supervise and provide support for the MEAL managers; monitor and evaluate the implemented MEAL activities
Anticipate any issues linked to carrying out the MEAL activities and help to resolve any problems related to the
- Suggest any adjustments to be made to the MEAL depending on contextual and indicator developments
- Working with the administrative department, contribute to developing budgets relative to his/her program and monitor expenses and budget forecasts
Working with given project manager, draw up requirement statuses and cash flow needs.
- Use the capitalization tools proposed by Solidarités International
- Participate in the centralization and distribution of procedures, guides and tools linked to the MEAL activities
- Capitalize on intervention methods and techniques and on the experiences acquired by Solidarités and other participants in the MEAL activities
Write procurement and handover reports before the end of his/her contract and send it to the appropriate persons on the mission and at headquarters
- Participate in validating the hiring of national technical staff for activities
- Define the prerequisites for opened MEAL positions together with the administrative department; adapt existing job descriptions if required
- Greet and brief the expatriates working on the program
- Identify and pass on any training needs for MEAL teams
- Set up technical training depending on MEAL operational needs and identified training requirements
- Manage and support the team under his/her responsibility
- Lead work groups and thematic meetings
- Evaluate and assess the performance of colleagues under his/her direct supervision
Ensure adherence to security regulations by personnel under his/her supervision
Reporting / communication / representation
- Pass upward to the relevant persons any information on the security situation or on any event that could impact Solidarités activities and the safety of the teams
- Draft MEAL reports and any annexes relating to specific activities for the financial donor reports and/or amendments
- Ensure that all reports are delivered on time and in the correct format
- Maintain a local operational communications network and good relations with local and government authorities, financial donor representatives, UN agencies and other international agencies
- In his/her assignment area, represent Solidarités International’s at meetings or forums concerning the …MEAL… activities
- Represent the organization when asked and/or delegated to do so
- Reply to headquarter information requests regarding specific needs
In collaboration with the MEAL coordinator, prepare the administrative documents (MOU, handover, etc.) to be jointly signed with government authorities, communities or partners
Specific skills and experience:
- Minimum 3 years with INGO in Humanitarian Project Management including MEAL
- Experience in HR management
- Experience in a volatile security context highly appreciated
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting in English
- Strong computer skills essential (Back office, project & database software, Power BI a plus)
- Working knowledge of Mobile Data Collection systems (e.g., Kobo or ONA)
- Experience in communication with communities and implementation of accountability mechanisms
- Ability to organize training and lead meetings
- Capacity building to local teams is paramount for the position
- Data Analysis (quantitative and qualitative)
- Database Management
- Technical experience in using GIS software (primarily QGIS) is an asset
- Prior experience in Middle East is an asset
The role will be managed by the Field Coordinator and will be part of the NWS base management team.
The MEAL manager is managing 10 persons:
1 Deputy MEAL Manager 1 MEAL Supervisor 9 MEAL Officer 1 Complaint Mechanism Officer
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 1980 euros gross per month (1800 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of 785 USD
SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate's country of origin and the place of assignment.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month.
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked > i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Living conditions in Amman are very good with access to a wide range of restaurants, cafes. Most products (food, clothing…) are easily accessible in Amman.
The perdiem rate for Amman is 785 USD a month
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/