Job Overview: The Employment Specialist assists newly arrived refugees and other qualified immigrants to attain self-sufficiency through employment by guiding them through employment preparation, coordinating job placements, and other career advancement services.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct intake, assessment and provide program orientation to clients eligible for employment services. Develop comprehensive employment plans and budget strategies for each employable adult. Provide job readiness and job search coaching and connect clients with job opportunities.
- Develop and cultivate Long Term relationships with area employers and staffing agencies to identify appropriate employment opportunities for clients.
- Assist clients and employers as necessary with post-placement issues and continuing employment needs.
- Complete program reporting as needed to provide information on client self sufficiency status.
- Monitor client job performance, wage levels, and related metrics.
- Detail each client interaction in accordance with program requirements. Input client information in database(s) and assist with tracking and reporting as needed.
- Collaborate effectively with coworkers and partner organizations. Build and maintain relationships with area service providers for the benefit of clients.
- Use personal, insured vehicle and/or public transportation (where available) to travel and transport clients and materials as needed throughout the service delivery area.
- May train and lead the activities of support staff, volunteers, and interns.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field of study preferred.
- Relevant professional experience in workforce development field required; minimum of 2 years’ experience strongly preferred.
- Experience working with refugee and/or immigrant populations strongly preferred.
- Experience with job placement and job readiness training a plus.
Demonstrated Skills & Competencies:
- Strong relationship building, diplomacy, and networking skills; ability to effectively build internal and external relationships.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties, and manage time effectively.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in work product.
- Proficient in English, both spoken and written; proficiency in language(s) spoken by client group is desired; including Dari, Farsi, and/or Pashto.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook); ability to use the internet and other digital tools for Data Entry, research and problem-solving purposes.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a personal, insured vehicle.
- A combination of standard office environment, remote work, and ‘field’ time within the service delivery area to perform the above outlined responsibilities.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and Mental Health struggles.
How to apply