At all times, the incumbent shall have demonstrated commitment to projecting a positive image of NRC and its brand through – among other things: effective communication about needs of displaced populations, accurate presentation of the work of NRC and how NRC makes or seeks to make a difference, and humanitarian principles. To the extent relevant for accomplishing the foresaid, the incumbent will represent NRC at relevant Coordination meetings with key stakeholders at various levels.
- Uphold and promote NRC values, code of conduct and Humanitarian Principles
- Gives support to relevant NRC staff in developing and maintaining good relationships with local authorities and officials.
- Actively promote gender awareness and protection and – where the situation demands it – be a champion for gender and protection.
Attend coordination meetings with official stakeholders, record meeting minutes and report back to management.
Overall coordination in representing NRC with the Government entities and other key stakeholders in the targeted areas including fostering healthy and effective relationship with them:
- Support in the preparation, submission and signing of NRC agreements with authorities; including, Principle Agreement, Sub-Agreements and MoUs.
- Compile and submit the required monthly/quarterly/biannual and annual reports to relevant government authorities, ensuring adherence to NRC’s policies, procedure, and donor requirements.
- Assist in Identifying key contacts in relevant government ministries; and develop and maintain good working relationships as well as negotiation with them and the institutions they represent.
- Obtain legal, fiscal, and administrative information (including, but not limited to documents) from local authorities; and share with relevant NRC staff and partner organizations as may be applicable.
- From time-to-time translates documents from English to Arabic and/or from Arabic to English, to ensure they are fit for the intended purpose and audience and/or edit complex technical materials.
- Ensure the sub-agreement tracker is updated and shared with all relevant staff.
- Support and accompany senior NRC staff to meetings with government entities as well as field visits whenever demanded including interpretation/Translation process and documentation of meeting notes.
- Support HR/Admin on submission of and follow up on VISA applications, exit/entry visas, residence permits, and work permits for international staff.
- Coordinate timely and accurate response to government orders, information, documents, and letters related to NRC’s program.
- Maintain a complete, up-to-date, and orderly archive for all sub-agreement, reports and official communication with authorities, both in hard copies and electronically, in accordance with NRC filing systems, and in accordance with principles of effective Document Management.
- From time to time conduct supportive field visits to Area and field offices and other project activities; and produce back-to-office reports within one week and provide support when needed.
- Assist in maintaining awareness of relevant governmental laws, policies and procedures that has significant impact on NRC’s operation in the targeted areas.
- Carry out similar activities assigned by direct supervisor.
Meeting deadlines related to plans and organize the various workloads to meet the specific deadlines.
Value driven competencies
You must be committed to the following NRC values:
- Inclusive and Accountable
The following are essential for this position:
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Emotionally intelligent
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines.
- Ability to absorb complex written and verbal information and communicate effectively.
Ability to strengthen effective working relationships at all levels.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- University degree in public or business Administration or other relevant Social Sciences.
- 2-3 years’ experience from working in government relations for a humanitarian organization
- Experience of liaison and representation with senior level authorities
- Demonstrated diplomatic communication skills with ability to build a strong network with a variety of stakeholders
- Able to do required regular travel within a designated Local Authority area and may also require travel outside the area, thus flexibility is required to meet this need as it appears
- Ability to engage and influence government authorities and its departments to achieve results.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to effectively advocate on behalf of NRC.
- Native Arabic speaker and advanced English language skills
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, standards and other humanitarian related issues.
- Demonstrated high attention to details.
Demonstrated competencies in drafting letters in Arabic
Context related skills; knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context in Yemen
- Competent in written and spoken English and Arabic
- Experience working with government, local authorities, humanitarian actors, migrants, host community and displaced populations (IDPs, Returnees and Refugees)
- Good knowledge of governance and administrative structures within Yemen.
- Knowledge of Yemen legislation and policies related to INGO work in the country.
Knowledge of humanitarian coordination mechanisms, international NGO and UN mandates
- Performance Management