Role & Responsibilities
The International Programmes (IP) Director has a critical role in the responsibility for strategic direction and management control of global portfolio, field & GSO field senior management teams, as well as leading operational support and direction for security & global emergency response, as well as performance management of Country Directors & Heads of Country Programmes ensuring they are led with an understanding & emphasis on our distinct Christian faith approach of and the value of our presence. S/he leads ensuring good quality, evidence-based programme delivery within our mandate & strong accountability and compliance. S/he is a member of Medair’s Executive Leadership Team (ELT). Encouraging Medair values especially with those that we come alongside & serve.
The International Programmes Department is specifically responsible for timely delivery & quality of our humanitarian services in all our programmes with support from HR, Engagement, Finance, Legal Counsel, Logistics & IT departments.
Workplace & Working conditions
Global Support Office (GSO) position based in Lausanne, Switzerland, with up to 30% / 12 weeks travel to country programmes and conference per year. Swiss, eligible EU citizens, those with valid Swiss work permit, can apply.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
June 2023. Full-time open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
Strategic Planning & Programme Development and Quality
- Serve as member of Executive Leadership Team (ELT) & strong contributor to Medair’s corporate 5-year strategy.
- Lead key strategic decisions & initiatives, operating model and execution within country programmes.
- Leads IP Department annual strategy and budget planning cycle for approval by the Executive Leadership Team.
- Review & approve each Country Strategy Plan, and as an integrated global portfolio & annual planning process.
- Guide GSO managers & advise ELT on new country programme strategic planning and potential responses.
- Ensure quality, accountability & compliance focus with Quality, Accountability & Compliance manager, teams.
- Provide strong leadership & vision thru optimal resources deployment to achieve organization’s ambitious goals.
- Lead & drive IP Department, empower & facilitate teams to be high performing delivering quality humanitarian aid to populations, ensuring excellent reputation with other NGOs, international agencies & local governments.
- Leads visionary thinking on distinct faith approach of Medair & role of faith-based organisations in humanitarian sector. Able to communicate this thought-leadership in compelling ways to inspire our teams & influence sector.
- Nurtures and develops leadership in others. Matures others through mentoring, coaching, and through providing an example of faith-filled leadership in a humanitarian programmes context.
- Develop achievable stretch team plans that are fully aligned with organization’s ambitious new vision & strategy.
- Provide coaching, guidance and support, and set professional development plans to assist the team members in reaching their full potential through the performance management process.
- Champion personnel, organizational resource & asset security, appropriately & in collaboration with ELT.
- Deliver financial management & control high standards per country programme & delegated to country offices.
- Stays ahead of the curve in identifying & managing how global trends, changing donor landscapes and funding evolutions, quality of services and contextual risks could affect Medair’s work.
- Annually review Medair’s security preparedness, ensure coordinated & professional capability to respond to crisis incidents and situations in Medair’s area of operations, as needed.
- On a quarterly basis, communicates trends and analyses, and recommends appropriate strategic responses to the CEO and ELT. Chair, lead and manage the Crisis Management Team.
- Take responsibility, motivate, review & report on performance of IP Department. Invest in modeling a unified, thankful, joyful, with strong sense of responsibility, high level of challenge and support in its dynamic team.
- Develop direct reports, manage work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance and team dynamics.
- Provide appropriate career-building & professional development activities to ensure growth for all senior staff.
External Relations Management
- Represent Medair’s faith-based identity with authority and grace.
- Position Medair as programme delivery excellence donor (institutional, foundation, church & individual) choice.
- Drive and lead the strategic and appropriate acquisition of institutional donor grants.
- Develop close relationships: institutional donors, humanitarian influencers, partners, agencies & private sector.
- Grow Medair’s servant-hearted humanitarian sector influence (EUCORD & Integral Alliance partnerships).
- Participate proactively in external Coordination with ICVA, Inter Action the Start Network.
- Support country programmes & Engagement positioning Medair with external stakeholders (media, Christian…).
Innovation & Learning
- Seek out innovative & effective ways of delivering quality humanitarian programming, to continue being a leader in technology, information management & reporting, and as a strong cluster group contributor.
- Ensure IP Department open communication learning approach joint to future business and shared externally.
- Encourage effective sectoral, project & people management, leadership workshops & training, and working with support departments to ensure adequate staff equipment (digital transformation, systems improvements…).
Team Spiritual Life
- Integration & outworking of Christian faith in all daily work aspects, decision-making, leadership & management style and communications. Reflect Medair values with team, staff, people assisted & external contacts.
- Work & pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to rich spiritual life of team (team devotions, prayers, words of encouragement…). Encouraged to contribute to our prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Recognised institution relevant degree; humanitarian sector and/or Business Management Masters preferred.
- Fluent English (spoken and written); working knowledge French, German, Arabic a plus.
- At least 10 years of senior management & leadership experience in both humanitarian and development field with international organizations, including substantial experience working in fragile States.
- Demonstrated experience leading complex emergency responses and long-term recovery programmes.
- Experience working for international NGOs, Secretariats or confederated organizations.
- Demonstrated networking with major humanitarian actors and humanitarian & development architecture, including the UN, governments, and institutional donors.
- Medair country programme experience is a definite asset.
- Competence with relevant computer systems (Navigator…) and Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
Download this brochure for more information: Click here
How to apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organizational values
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, send your application to: email@example.com by May 15, 2023 12:00 CEST.
Please do not make multiple applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.