IRC's immigration legal services program serves more than 14,000 individuals in 23 sites throughout the U.S. each year, providing accessible and critical legal representation and advice to immigrants and their families in order to acquire the highest level of immigration status available, keep families together, access their full rights, and successfully integrate in the U.S.
The Immigration Services Navigator provides orientation, information, and referrals to a range of clients including newly-arrived Cuban and Haitian entrants. This program provides information vital for this population to successfully navigate available services in their local community.
This position will work with the Immigration and Economic Empowerment program leads and staff to provide comprehensive information regarding IRC services, the immigration court process, and options and referrals for local resources.
- Coordinate logistics and provide in-person and virtual orientations to newly arrived parolees and Asylum Seekers, including arranging for professional interpretation services. Prepare and revise training materials as needed and regularly evaluate the effectiveness of training curricula.
- Respond to appointment requests and coordinate with Immigration staff to facilitate orientation sessions, referrals, and schedule appointments where appropriate
- Work with the Immigration Department to develop or maintain relationships with legal services agencies to organize joint activities, specifically legal orientations, legal screenings/ consultations, and/or pro se workshops
- Collaborate with colleagues to ensure clients receive information about their status and are able to access a legal consultation; conduct outreach to inform clients of any relevant changes in the Law
- Answer majority of phone-based client inquiries and serve as the first point of contact for immigration legal services inquiries by clients
- Coordinate a small team of volunteers and interns to assist with activities such as workshops or as otherwise directed
- Maintain accurate tracking record of all orientation, intake and outreach activities, partner organizations, contacts, etc. according to Data Collection protocols
- Assist with reminders for USCIS appointments through phone / text messaging, as needed
- Other duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; related work experience will be considered in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
- Previous experience with refugee / immigrant legal or social services strongly preferred.
- Education or employment experience in instructing, or training Design, preferably in a multicultural context, strongly preferred.
- Strong writing, Interpersonal Communication, and visual design skills specifically in developing print and visual training materials.
- Experience with computer-based interactive training tools a plus.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment and with Limited English Proficient populations.
- Able to work effectively in a team environment, as well as take independent initiative
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and comfortable utilizing online software and programs.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to prioritize tasks and manage time effectively
- Excellent communication skills with proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Spanish fluency required; proficiency or fluency in Haitian Creole a plus.
- Standard office environment with occasional opportunities to participate in Community Outreach and legal assistance events.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.
How to apply
Please apply on our website: