This is a temporary assignment for a duration of 2-3
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the
belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the
world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and
build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Having consolidated the Syria response under one country
programs team before more than one year, the HR department is now
analyzing and aligning various policies and procedures across a
multi-national team set up.
The NW Syria program operates in a remote management context,
with its own history and preexisting structure and practices, that
are currently being revised. The Manager will support the Directors
in such a revision and its implementation.
General Position Summary
The Human Resources Manager, will support a realignment and
reinforcement of HR related procedures in NW Syria, which sits
within a multi-country and remote management setting. S/he will
support the HR Director and Director of Programs in ensuring an
appropriate organizational structure exists within NW Syria and
aligning all HR procedures and practices accordingly. S/he will
sensitize all NW Syria staff to Mercy Corps HR policies and
Essential Job Responsibilities
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
- Provide support to the HR Director and Director of Programs on
HR and Management issues;
- Provide support to the HR Director and Director of Programs in
ensuring organizational structure alignment, and that such is well
understood by all NW Syria staff;
- Facilitate a critical analysis and revision of the HUB
structure, with support of the HR Director;
- Revise policies, procedures and the day to day functioning of
the HR department of NW Syria, ensuring that Mercy Corps practices
are respected and policies and procedures are followed
- Support all staff in NW Syria to understand the relevant
policies and procedures;
- Support Supervisors understanding of HR policies and procedures
and ensure their ability not only to adhere to such, but to advise
the individuals within their teams appropriately;
- Support and guide a HR Officer on the changes and ensuring
processes for sustainability;
- Support the HR Director with an analysis of the compensation
and benefits framework for NW Syria and implications of its
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as
determined by country
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure
environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in
support of our understanding that learning organizations are more
effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we
expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning
activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts
toward accountability, specificallyto our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding
international relief and development work, while actively engaging
beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring
and evaluation of our field projects.
HR Officer, NWS.
Reports Directly To: HR Director
Works Directly With: Director of Programs NWS,
Operations Manager, MEL Coordinator, Security & Access
Officers, all departments, all NW Syria staff based in both Amman
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in relevant field, masters
- 5 years’ experience in Human Resources Management, with at
least 3 years’ experience at Management level, within the
Humanitarian NGO sector.
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related
security concerns and appropriate responses with experience in the
Middle East and in insecure environments.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, following procedures, meeting
deadlines and working and problem- solving independently and
- Experience working in remote management settings, particularly
supporting Syria programs, is considered highly advantageous.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational,
prioritization and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; proficiency
in Arabic is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in
a sensitive environment.
The individual will have the ability to quickly grasp complex
situations, despite working in a remote management setting where
s/he will not have face to face interaction with the majority of
the team. S/he will have a strong understanding of HR policies and
best practice and how to adapt and implement policy to achieve
department objectives. Given the short nature of the assignment,
the individual will need to quickly achieve results and understand
priorities. S/he will be comfortable engaging with individuals at
all levels within the country program and will do so with a clear
and effective communication. S/he will have a strong sense of
effective management and coordination as well as strategic HR
familiarity. S/he will have experience facilitating change
management processes within HR.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position is based in Amman, Jordan, and is an unaccompanied
post. Jordan is middle- income country with excellent education,
medical, and other facilities in the capital Amman. Jordan is a
very safe country with excellent communications, transportation,
and housing infrastructure. Although neighboring countries continue
to experience political unrest, Jordan has been a stable monarchy
for over 30 years and the destination preference for many people
from the Middle East to relax or gain access to available services.
In recent years, events unfolding in Syria and Iraq have increased
local concerns over the continued stability of Jordan but to date
there have been no major incidents.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and
outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a
visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct
themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs
and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of
Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer
regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive
Other Jobs at the Same Organization (3)
- Training Coordinator, Port-au-Prince, Haiti ending on 20 Oct 2019, Sunday
- Consultant, Tunis, Tunisia ending on 10 Oct 2019, Thursday
- Technology for Development – Assistant Program Officer, Portland, USA ending on 09 Sep 2019, Monday