The Global Health, Safety & Security Section in Head Office is responsible for developing, evaluating, and monitoring NRC’s global approach to health, safety, security, and Crisis Management. With a central team located at Head Office, the Section provides the policies, systems, frameworks, and standards for use globally, and works through and with senior managers and HSS staff in the regions, in-country operations, and in Head Office.
The Head of Unit is a key component of the Global HSS Team as this position participates in building resilience for the organisation. By training all staff (from raising awareness on HSS to HEAT courses for those who will be deployed in a hostile environment), the Training Unit is preparing staff on how to mitigate risks and respond if things go wrong and therefore facilitating NRC activities. The Head of Global HSS Training reports to the Global HSS Director.
What you will do:
You will take leadership in developing and implementing the global HSS training strategy based on the organization’s needs and its duty of care for staff. You will also be expected to continuously improve NRC’s HSS training system, lead the unit staff and trainers, and have global training budget oversight and responsibility.
Some of your specific responsibilities include;
- Guide and lead the implementation of the global HSS training strategy.
- Plan, manage and report on training deliveries.
- Develop and maintain an excellent level of quality of all NRC Training Courses (HEAT, ToT, CMT, HEIST, 1st aid training).
- Develop the HSS management training program and create new training courses based on needs.
- Manage the staff of the Training Unit.
- Recruit and manage external consultants following NRC procurement procedures.
- Manage the TU budget.
Maintain good relations with providers (venues hosting our HEAT courses) and work with other NGOs to share best practice and Design possible further collaboration.
What you will bring:
- Relevant higher education and minimum 8 years of experience working in NGOs, 5 of which must be within the safety and security field (including delivering training courses).
Solid understanding of principles and practices in broad Humanitarian Action, NGO safety and Risk Management, and Humanitarian Access.
Excellent communication skills and fluency in English, both written and verbal. Fluency in Arabic, Spanish, and/or and French is also an asset.
- Strong report writing and good communication and presentation skills.
- Creative and able to elaborate a global training strategy.
- Substantial and demonstrated prior experience as a trainer, with an effective and professional training style, and the ability to develop, implement, facilitate and impart learning to senior management and to a wide range of audiences.
- Demonstrated experience in the incident and crisis management.
- Professional qualifications or studies in teaching, general management, and security/risk management.
- Prior work experience at the regional or global level.
- French and Spanish language skills.
Experience or qualifications in humanitarian access or negotiation.
We know that you are curious and would like to learn more about this role; please click here to access the full Job Description.
What makes this position attractive?
- A challenging and exciting opportunity with an international team dedicated to advocating for the rights of people forced to flee;
- A chance to develop and implement the global HSS training strategy for NRC globally.
- This position will involve 30% travel.
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English, both written and verbal. Fluency in Arabic, Spanish, and/or and French is also an asset.