Work Location : Somalia - Mogadishu Type of Post : Other Possible Location : Funding : THIS POSITION IS PENDING DONOR APPROVAL Expected Travel : Type of Contract : Language Requirement : Application Deadline : Employee Duration : Full-Time
CARE seeks a Finance Director for the anticipated USAID-funded Somalia Accelerated Basic Education Activity. This $23-$30 million activity will build upon USAID/Somalia’s investment in non-formal education and increase access to education for the nearly four million out-of-school children and youth in Somalia. The Activity will expand access to education in communities where current demand is not being met, and a free, public option is needed. The activity also aims to improve the overall quality of education by increasing teacher capacity and further developing evidence-based teaching and learning materials.
The Finance Director will provide leadership and direction to the finance team with close oversight of the project’s finances, including Analysis" id="link" class="link">Financial Analysis and accounting management. The successful candidate should possess significant experience in managing finances, and operations of USAID or other international donor-funded projects.
This position is pending donor approval and funding.
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia. This is an unaccompanied post location.
· Support the Chief of Party in day-to-day Program Management and ensure that the program meets all CARE, USAID and host country regulations and requirements related to USAID funds usage, accountability, and operations within the country.
· Establish efficient financial and operational systems including internal audits, compliance, and risk management.
· Lead the annual budgeting process and review all financial plans and budgets, monitoring progress and changes.
· Manage project procurement and human resources as needed.
· Track and analyze all costs incurred under the award; oversee all payments.
· Monitor program budget and advise senior management on burn rates and other programmatic considerations; provide complete and compliant required reporting; and maintain financial records for all program activities.
· Overseeing sub-grantee budgets and expenditures; provide relevant Capacity Building on financial and operational requirements for local partners as needed.
· Supervise a small team of finance and operations staff.
· Ensure that appropriate financial record-keeping policies and practices are established and maintained throughout the life of the program.
· Oversee all office expenditures and staff transportation/vehicles; lead Human Resource management.
· Establish financial and operational systems during start-up.
· Liaise with CARE’s home office financial, compliance and Field Operations teams.
· University degree required. Graduate degree in business, accounting, finance, Administration or relevant field preferred.
· At least eight (8) years of experience in Somalia managing the administration of international donor-funded programs in a leadership role.
· Experience managing USAID cooperative agreements and/or contracts.
· Experience managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple program partner institutions.
· Demonstrated commitment to principles of Gender Equity, Diversity, Belonging and Inclusion.
· Demonstrated commitment to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Harassment (PSEAH).
· Experience managing required programmatic and financial reporting requirements.
· Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects and stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
· Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills.
· Experience recruiting, developing, and managing staff and teams.
· Fluency in written and spoken English. Somali language skills preferred.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity, and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. CARE is Zero Tolerant organization for Child Abuse and sexual exploitation and abuse.
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at