For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
Médecins du Monde has been operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
In Tigray, the region has only started to recover from a devastating armed conflict between TPLF and the federal army that left millions of people traumatized and in desperate need of humanitarian assistance. MdM is opening a new EU funded project in consortium with an Ethiopian partner to address war traumas and provide primary healthcare and nutrition services to the population in east Tigray.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the supervision of the General Coordinator, you are responsible for the overall management of Mekele’s base and of MdM program in the Tigray region; You ensure the security of all staff is monitored at all time. You ensure smooth implementation of the program activities and you coordinate HR, finance and logistics. You also work in close collaboration with our local partner and you represent MdM towards authorities and stakeholders in the region.
As a member of country management, you work closely with the Coordination Team in Addis Ababa, as well as project partners in the field locations.
Your main responsibilities are the following:
- Contribute to the humanitarian monitoring of the region
- Ensure the implementation of the program in the field and its follow-up
- Ensure the coordination of all project partners
- Contribute and give inputs for the update of MdM strategy
- Ensure adequate information flow and organize regular coordination meetings
- Oversee and coordinate the general functioning of the base
- Support team members under direct supervision in their duties
- Coordinate the activities of local partners
Safety and security management
- Monitor the security situation in Tigray
- Create and routinely update the security package
- Ensure that all staff and visitors are briefed on the security rules
- Ensure data collection about the safety and security in Tigray region and provide analyses
- Alert the general coordinator without delay in case of impending danger or incident
- Ensure timely and accurate security incident reports
- Be an active part of the incident management team
Logistics, finance and Administration
- Ensure the project activities are carried out in accordance with donor compliance and MdM procedures
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical procedures are in place
- Ensure that the procurement plan is consistent
- Be responsible for accurate budget control
- Monitor and report expenditure and budget compliance on a regular basis
- Monitor and develop plans to mitigate any under or over expenditure
- Create and maintain a positive team spirit within the different departments
- Contribute to the recruitment of staff
- Be responsible for disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Carry out evaluations
- Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed and debriefed
- Ensure all team members receive Technical Support
- Ensure Capacity Building and training
Representation and reporting
- Represent MdM in the field and share informations with the field and coordination team
- Build strong relationships with humanitarian actors working in the area
- In the event of visits from donors, participate in the organization of the visits
- Provide Tigray program inputs into the monthly Sitrep
- Contribute to project proposals
- Report to Tigray program partners and authorities on activities
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 12 months
Starting date: as soon as possible
Position based in Mekele, Tigray region (with regular movements to the field)
Gross monthly salary: 3175 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 recovery days per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Teleworking agreement for positions eligible to telework: 110 days/year (2.5 days teleworking on average per week) with a minimum of 1 day per week onsite
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
As part of our measures to combat money laundering and financing of terrorism, any selected candidate may be subject to a background check on international sanctions lists (UN, the EU, France, the United States…). This information is handled confidentially and stored on a secure server. For more information on the processing of personal data throughout this process: http://bit.ly/3CSTDYO
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
At least 2 or 3 years of similar relevant professional experience
Education in public health is an asset
Previous experience in one of MdM program sectors
Previous experience in health system strengthening
Knowledge and understanding of project management tools
Capacity to work and to live in a multicultural environment
Ability to cope with last minutes changes and solution-oriented
Listening and diplomacy skills Team manager with a strong leadership
Experience in management of multi donor budgets
Independence, ability to take initiative and responsibility Ability to work under stressful situations
Strong Problem Solving and organisational skills in day to day and crisis situations
Advanced proficiency in the use of MS Office, and other Computer Applications
Languages: Fluent English (written and spoken) mandatory. French, Amharic or Tigrinya is an asset.
You embrace the core values and support the proactive philosophy of Médecins du Monde.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.