Role & Responsibilities
The Communication Advisor supports Medair Engagement Team in identifying key messages and relevant communication themes for attracting, converting, engaging and retaining target audiences / communities. She/he reports to the ENG Director and works closely primarily with the marketing manager and also with the entire Engagement team to grow Medair international awareness and support Fundraising efforts. She/He coaches and matrix manages a team of field communication officers in our different Country Programs in order to gather key resources and deliver key messages to other teams within Engagement and Affiliate offices. She/he develops and coordinates production of corporate communication products such Annual Report, impact report, CEO Quarterly Report. Areas of responsibility include also deployment to the country programs with the Emergency response team as required.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programs, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our lifesaving and sustaining programs and to recruit international and GSO staff.
The Communication advisor focuses on gathering key messages to be delivered to the rest of the ENG team and affiliate offices. This role supports the fundraising relationship and marketing efforts of the Engagement department (EN) by increasing the levels of awareness and engagement of people who hear about Medair.
Workplace & Working conditions
Global Support Office (GSO) position based in Lausanne, Switzerland. Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full-time open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
- Lead field communication (technical management) to contribute to the annual engagement plan and ensure that field validated key messages for appropriate material are available on time and on a regular basis throughout the organisation., including requests from Engagement and Affiliates.
- Ensure quality and compliance to Medair values and security standards of field comm’s material.
GERT Comm’s coverage
- Deploy to the field with Emergency Response team to ensure proper comm’s coverage.
- Draw media attention by engaging with journalists.
- Contribute to define the creative angle of major corporate campaigns such as End of Year Campaign
- Provide key messages (narrative, images, video…) i.e. playbook to other engagement teams who will execute and deliver campaigns.
- Contribute to providing the communication angle, layout and themes of the Medair News and Annual Report reflecting different stakeholders’ requests and needs.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Graduate degree in marketing or communications or equivalent.
- Excellent working knowledge of the English language (speaking and writing).
- Minimum 5 years management experience in communications, marketing or equivalent
- Experience working for an NGO in country programs
- Knowledge and experience in traditional marketing, understands key concepts
- Proven success in project management
- Strong working knowledge of English and French
- German is a plus
- Microsoft Office
- Social Media Platforms
- Excellent communication, language and strong project management skills
- A team player with strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to lead / take decisions
- Ability to influence within and across teams
- Ability to plan, execute, monitor and review objectives
- Good time-management skills, able to define, focus and deliver on target
- Agile, quick to adjust to changes in and outside the organization
How to apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organizational values
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair Page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.