Eligibility criteria Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters Duty Stations.Apply Now
Description of task
Description of task
- Support the implementation of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) Environmental Policy and draft Guidelines, as well as the DPKO/DFS Waste Management Policy in the mission.
- Review and assess host country environmental regulations against the DPKO/DFS policy requirements to ascertain the scope of legal responsibilities
- Assess environmental conditions through a mission gap Analysis, as well as baseline studies for new construction.
- Prepare an environmental action plan, guidance materials and instructions aimed at achieving environmental objectives identified through the gap analysis in areas such as energy (oil spills prevention, Energy Efficiency, use of solar power), water/wastewater (water conservation and wastewater treatment) and waste (including Hazardous Waste) management and Emergency response plan.
- Support in issuing an Annual Mission Environmental Statement by senior management.
- Support the preparations for budget submissions vis-à-vis environment.
- Conduct site visits for all mission locations to monitor environmental performance and advise on corrective actions as necessary.
- Develop and implement training activities (induction and on-site during site visits), liaising with the mission training section, as well as DFS Headquarters, aimed at building mission capacity to meet mission environmental objectives.
- Keep a record (‘environmental log’) of environmental issues and actions at the mission and identify problem areas to be addressed by the relevant Sections (engineering, transport, supply, medical, property disposal, etc.) within the mission.
- Coordinate and overview all activities related to environmental compliance in all mission military, police and civilian components.
- Review statements of work, contracts and services for the disposal of waste, in accordance with international and local environmental standards.
- Prepare consolidated reports on environmental actions of all mission sites.
- Liaise regularly with the Headquarters’ environmental officer and participate in the Peace Ops Environment Community (website and email community.
- Develop and maintain liaison with other UN agencies, local authorities and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in the mission area and develop partnerships whenever possible.
- Keep up to date on environmental developments.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Required: Degree Level: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in environmental management, science, environmental engineering, law, natural resources management, urban planning, development and social sciences or related field.
- Additional: Environmental studies, sustainable development, environment engineering or related fields.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in environmental management, environmental engineering or related fields
- Climate Change mitigation and mechanisms for technology transfer.
- Experience in the environmental management or environmental engineering field with a national government/Administration, a large firm or international organization is required, with a proven ability in analytical work. Previous experience in peacekeeping, military or other Field Operations is an advantage.
- Knowledge of methodologies for project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of environmental compliance is essential.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent