**Job Overview:**The English Language (EL)/Civics Instructor provides instruction to multi-level classes in the areas of reading, writing, speaking, and listening with contextualized instruction on rights and responsibilities of citizenship, naturalization procedures, U.S. History, and Government. The instructor should adhere to the curriculum and support the New Americans Initiative (NAI) by teaching in-person citizenship classes for legal permanent residents for a minimum of four locations/schedules in the City of Los Angeles. The EL/Civics Instructor reports to the Adult Education Supervisor, within Integration Programs.
Responsibilities: Include, but are not limited to:
- Adhere to the program’s mission and goals.
- Provide a positive, respectful, student-centered learning environment.
- Respect adult learners and be aware and responsive to special needs and issues of the multi-cultural classroom.
- Develop and re-evaluate curriculum on an ongoing basis in response to students' needs.
- Utilize authentic material and technology.
- Keep records of the individual student files and records and track and maintain students’ attendance.
- Conference students to communicate students’ progress and plan with students the steps necessary to attain goals.
- Complete all required reports as requested by the supervisor.
- Meet with the supervisor as needed to discuss the student's attendance and progress.
- Plan class activities and projects on a weekly basis.
- Test students using the TABE placement test to assess students’ language proficiency.
- Evaluate students’ knowledge using the USCIS’s Assessment of Adult Citizenship Education
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field with a minimum of 3 years teaching ESL with knowledge of US history and government and/or Citizenship.
- Knowledge of instruction, course Design, and lesson planning strategies.
- Ability to design and provide activities and instruction across a continuum in reading, listening, writing, and language.
- Strong working knowledge of various Operating Systems and familiarity with Data Management and office software.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, and to work as a member of the adult education program.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well with people of various backgrounds.
- High level of comfort, functioning, and effectiveness in multicultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent organizational skills with a high level of attention to detail and computer literacy.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to make presentations.
- Ability to work independently, be a self-starter and manage multiple tasks.
- Proficiency in the English language is required. Proficiency in the Spanish, Farsi, and Armenian languages is an asset.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a personal, insured vehicle to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area.
- A combination of the standard office environment and the Los Angeles libraries.
- Requires Saturday morning and evening work.
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and Mental Health struggles.
How to apply