IRC Background: The mission of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC has a presence in over 40 countries and 27 offices in the United States; the IRC leads the way from harm to home. IRC opened an office in Seattle in 1976 and provides a continuum of services including intensive case management, employment and economic empowerment services, immigration assistance, health and wellness programming, and education support to refugee and immigrant families in Washington State. IRC Washington is committed to providing trauma-informed, equitable, and accessible services and maintaining and evolving a diverse, inclusive, and supportive workplace.
The IRC Immigration Program provides ESL Naturalization Exam Preparation Course four days per week to help adult students build their English language capabilities and civics content. In-person classes are offered at four KCLS locations, Burien, Federal Way, Kent, and Tukwila. Each class has a follow up online class. This position teaches two evening classes (Tue & Wed) at Kent and Tukwila libraries, and two online classes.
- Prepare students for the U.S. Naturalization Exam.
- Tailor curriculum for hybrid delivery and connect to appropriate textbook support.
- Teach English language skills (including grammar, conversation, reading and writing, and listening/comprehension) and Civics Content (US History, Government, Traditions and Geography).
- Teach a multicultural and multilevel classroom of English language learners.
- Build relationships with partner organizations and local NGOs to develop curriculum and course Marketing.
- Market course and recruit students within the local community and current IRC clients.
- Assess, track and report student attendance and CASAS assessments
- Help students become autonomous learners by take-home study habits and foundational ESL skills.
- Practice USCIS Citizenship interview techniques and skills.
- Develop supplemental materials and maintain files and records.
- Other duties as requested by the Civics/ESL Coordinator.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Civics/ESL Coordinator
Other Internal contacts: Volunteers and Interns
- MA in TESOL or related field in education.
- Minimum of 3 years of teaching experience in an ESL learner setting.
- Strong Intercultural communication skills.
- Positive attitude and energetic.
- Patience and empathy for adult students.
- Flexibility to work with a variety of student needs and language levels.
Working Environment: **
- Standard, professional office environment (flexible remote and in-office)
- Access to a reliable transportation to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: IRC is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
**US Benefits:**We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and Mental Health struggles.
How to apply