Location: Lviv, Ukraine Starting date: ASAP Contract duration: 6 months with the possibility of extension Country: Ukraine Line Manager: Programme DirectorApply Now
About People in NeedPeople in Need (PIN) is a Czech Republic-based NGO globally working in the relief and development sectors. PIN has been active in Ukraine since early August 2014 and the humanitarian program has been rapidly expanding since then. Currently, PIN is one of the major humanitarian and aspiring development actor in eastern Ukraine providing neutral and independent humanitarian aid to conflict-affected people, as well as early recovery and Development Assistance in the east of Ukraine.
About the role:PIN is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic humanitarian professional to take on the role of Emergency Programme Manager (EPM). The EPM will play a vital role within the Senior Management Team, leading PIN’s emergency programme team to deliver timely and appropriate emergency assistance to those most vulnerable. Managing an in-kind and cash-based emergency response portfolio covering WASH, Shelter sectors across OFDA funding, the EPM will likewise lead PIN’s contributions to a coordinated Rapid Response Mechanism under a large consortium grant with three other NGOs. The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced humanitarian professional who has a proven track record of delivering assistance in emergencies. S/he is a strong communicator who is able to sensitively navigate a multi-cultural working environment and build positive and constructive relationships with both colleagues and external partners. S/he is able to work independently, delivering assistance which is accountable to affected populations under tight timeframes in a challenging field environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:Programme Implementation
- Ensure quality and timely implementation of PIN’s Emergency Response activities in line with relevant standards, best practices, and internal / donor requirements;
- Provide technical guidance to the teams on Emergency Response programme Design and implementation;
- Oversee the development and regular updating of implementation plans that will set out future activities and track progress to date on outputs and activities;
- Develop and regularly update PIN’s emergency response plan – coordinating with relevant stakeholders (particularly consortium partners) on rapid response to emerging crises;
- Oversee the development and regular updating of budget forecasts for project activities and staffing, and monitor the spending in cooperation with Finance team to ensure accurate and timely financial management, flagging potential over/under spending to senior management;
- Review and approve key project documentation in a timely manner to facilitate financial payments to vendors, beneficiaries, Cash Transfer agents, etc.
- Take a lead in implementing rigorous control mechanisms for emergency response activities to ensure compliance with internal and donors requirements
- Regularly liaise with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) team to develop and frequently update the MEAL plan, ensure appropriate indicator tracking, and ensure that accountability to affected populations (AAP) is in place for emergency response activities;
- In Coordination with the MEAL team, participate in the development and supervision of rapid assessments, monitoring surveys, evaluations, and other planning and MEAL activities as required;
- In coordination with the Head of Programmes (HoP) and the Deputy Field Co – Programmes (DFC-P), support the development of relevant tools, SOPs and technical standards;
- Provide leadership, day-to-day support, coordination and mentoring to national project staff;
- Recruit additional staff as needed and budgeted in line with PIN recruitment procedures;
- Work closely with other Programme Managers (in particular Shelter, WASH and Cash PMs) to identify possible synergies and enhance relevance, cost-efficiency and impact of PIN’s humanitarian programming;
- Promote synergies and standardization across all PIN’s areas of operation, among Emergency Response actors and relevant consortium partners;
Requirements and Contractual ConditionsKnowledge and experience:
- At least 3 year’s professional experience within a humanitarian and/or development organization;
- Proven experience in humanitarian assistance in Complex Emergencies;
- Strong grasp of all stages of programme cycle management and quality standards in humanitarian programming, including safeguarding and accountability mechanisms;
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate organizational and Problem Solving skills;
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English;
- Proven ability to work in a diverse and multi-cultural team environment, with appropriate sensitivity to social and cultural norms;
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts would be an advantage.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, and preferably knowledge of Russian and Ukrainian, which is a plus.
People in Need offers:
- Starting salary in the range of 1950 – 2100 EUR gross/month based on your experience and PIN’s salary scale (for full time),
- Per diems of 1200 EUR gross/month
- Salary and benefits according to PIN’s salary scale and HR policies
- Opportunities for learning, trainings and Capacity Development;
- 25 days of paid leave annually;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work, plus R&R benefits according to PIN's policy;
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure;
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line;
- Travel health insurance.
- Housing in PIN guesthouse covered by PIN