Electoral Legal Specialist-International
Location : Dili, Timor Leste
Application Deadline : 04-Apr-19 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 15-Apr-2019
Duration of Initial Contract : 6 months
Expected Duration of Assignment : 15 April 2019 to 30 Sep 2019
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is implementing an Electoral Project- Leveraging Electoral Assistance Regionalized Nation-Building (LEARN) to provide tailored technical assistance to Election Management Bodies (EMBs)- Technical Secretariat for Electoral Administration STAE) and National Commission for Elections (CNE) to strengthen their capacities through electoral cycle approach, contributing to the process of creating and sustaining an environment for inclusive and responsive electoral and political processes.
Since the successful conduct of national elections in 2017 and 2018, the project is undergoing activities that would pertain to the post-election scenario in relation to building the capacity of EMBs of Timor-Leste. The project is addressing the larger context of the socio-political dynamics especially focusing on the issues of women and youth of Timor-Leste. As the country is in the process of decentralization, conduct of election is imminent to the context. The EMBs will be drafting and reviewing the existing electoral legal framework for Municipality elections as the Government has outlined in their five-year programme. In coordination with CNE and Ministry of State Administration, an integrated electoral legal framework for the national elections.
Duties and Responsibilities
- OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT/SCOPE OF SERVICE
Under the supervision of the National Project Manager, the consultant is expected to assist STAE in drafting the integrated legal frameworks. The consultant will engage to identify and analyze the electoral legal framework remaining within the scope of advising and providing legal assistance to the EMBs to develop necessary legal framework for the electoral processes of Timor-Leste. The consultant will perform following duties and responsibilities:
- Review available documents/ national legislation, and consult with UNDP senior management, and rule of law and justice team members to better understand the context and objectives of this consultancy;
- Conduct a comprehensive analysis of the existing electoral legal framework;
- Prepare and conduct interviews/discussions with key stakeholders- Ministry of State Administration, CNE, Parliament Members and respective Parliamentary Standing Committees.
- Carry out legal studies on any matters that may be committed to it, within the scope of the activities of competence of STAE;
The successful consultant is expected to deliver the following deliverables: Deliverables/ Outputs
Estimated Duration to Complete
Target Due Dates
Review and Approvals Required
- A concept-note: with a clear methodology and timeline proposal;
15 April 2019
- A draft report on the status of legal framework
15 May 2019
- Presentation of the findings
15 June 2019
- Draft of the legal framework
15 July 2019
- Final report and suggestions
15 September 2019
- INSTITUTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS
The consultant will work under the overall supervision of the National Project Manager within the structure of the LEARN project. The logistics will be organized by UNDP.
- DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
The expected duration of the work is for 6 Months (15 April October 2018 to 15 September 2019)
- DUTY STATION
Required Skills and Experience
- QUALIFICATIONS OF THE SUCCESSFUL INDIVIDUAL CONTRACTOR
I. Academic Qualifications: A Master’s degree in international law, human rights or any other relevant field.
II. Years of experience:
- Should have a minimum of 8 years of proven experience in electoral legal framework
- Demonstrable experience in developing countries; Knowledge of Timor-Leste social context and/or rule of law, electoral legal framework is strongly desirable;
- Understanding of Timor-Leste’s socio-political context especially of women and youth
- Understanding of international development and governance issues is desirable.
- Acquaintance and involvement with development programs/projects/activities, especially with UNDP is desirable;
III. Language requirements
- Fluency in Portuguese (both oral and written)
- Proficiency in Tetum is considered an advantage
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to motivate people.
- Ability to work and communicate in a team environment with good problem-solving and organizational skills
- Capacity to deal with different cultural backgrounds and overcome language barriers.
- Capacity to state ideas in more than one way, demonstrating creativity and flexibility.
- Good writing and analytical skills and demonstrated ability to present complex information in a concise and attractive manner are critical.
D.QUALIFICATIONS OF THE SUCCESSFUL INDIVIDUAL CONTRACTOR
The financial proposal must be expressed in the form of an all-inclusive  Lump Sum Amount, following the scheduled payment percentage described on the Expected Outputs and Deliverables section, supported by a breakdown of costs as per the template provided by UNDP.
Schedule of payment: Payment will be made in one installment contingent upon delivery and approval of deliverables stated under Section E of the TOR. An IC Time Sheet must also be submitted by the successful contractor, duly approved by the Individual Contractor’s supervisor, as proof of the number of days worked which shall also serve as the basis for the payment of fees.
E.RECOMMENDED PRESENTATION OF OFFER
Interested consultants must submit the following documents to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability and Submission of Financial Proposal using the template provided by UNDP http://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=54025 ;
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references;
F.CRITERIA FOR SELECTION OF THE BEST OFFER
When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
* Technical Criteria weight; 70%
* Financial Criteria weight; 30%
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points of the technical criteria would be considered for the Financial Evaluation
DETAIL EVALUATION CRITERIA
A. Technical Criteria
EDUCATION: A Master’s degree in international law, human rights or any other relevant field.
Should have a minimum of 8 years of proven experience in electoral legal framework
Previous Experience in developing countries; Knowledge of Timor-Leste social context and/or rule of law, electoral legal framework;
Acquaintance and involvement with development programs/projects/activities, especially with UNDP;
Understanding of Timor-Leste context of Timor-Leste’s including socio-political context especially of women and youth
- Fluency in Portuguese (both oral and written)
Total Technical Score
B. Financial Proposal
This TOR is approved by
 The term ‘All inclusive’ implies that all costs (professional fees, travel costs, living allowances, communications, consumables, etc.) that could possibly be incurred by the Contractor are already factored into the final amounts submitted in the proposal
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP – United Nations Development Programme
Other Jobs at the Same Organization (10)
- Roster for Drivers’ positions, Sana’a, Yemen ending on 30 May 2019, Thursday
- Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader, Colombo, Sri Lanka ending on 30 May 2019, Thursday
- Trois(3) Mobilisateurs Communautaires/Communes du Cap-Haitien (1), et de Dondon (2), Cap Haitien, Haiti ending on 29 May 2019, Wednesday
- Chief, Investment Unit, New York, USA ending on 30 May 2019, Thursday
- International Consultant to support the effective implementation of public procurement reform in Thailand, Home based ending on 01 Jan 1970, Thursday
- Advisor Governance & Peacebldg, Dakar, Senegal ending on 07 Jun 2019, Friday
- JPO – Programme Analyst, Civil Society and Gender, New York, USA ending on 02 Jun 2019, Sunday
- Finance Associate, Bangkok, Thailand ending on 26 May 2019, Sunday
- Programme Specialist, Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding (Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding), Istanbul, Turkey ending on 30 May 2019, Thursday
- Internship opportunities (roster), Minsk, Belarus ending on 31 Dec 2019, Tuesday