Tuesday, 18 June 2019
United Nations University
Organisational Unit: UNU Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching, and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
UNU-EHS, established in December 2003, is part of the UNU system, a worldwide network of Research and Training Institutes. Its mission is to advance human security through knowledge-based approaches to reducing vulnerability and environmental risks. For more information, please visit www.ehs.unu.edu.
The Education Unit manages all processes related to the Joint Master’s Science Programme with the University of Bonn as well as a scholarship programme under the postgraduate development focused funding scheme EPOS of the German Academic Exchange (DAAD). It also acts as focal point for the educational activities at UNU-EHS, its networks, and international partners.
Under the authority of the Director of UNU-EHS and the supervision of the Education Programme Manager, the appointee will be entrusted with a variety of tasks related to the coordination and administration of educational and capacity programmes offered by UNU-EHS. The appointee will support and take over tasks from the following areas:
Application management (joint master’s programme)
- design and dissemination of calls for applications, communication with potential applicants and candidates
- communication with Finance and Admin Department and sections focal points
- filing and pre-screening applications, creating shortlists for assessment and interviews
- organisation of interviews and preparing interview reports
Services for students and scholars
- communication and coordination with administrative units of programme partners
- assist in visa and housing application processes
- draft and provide certificates, recommendation letters, and administrative forms
- organise the welcome services for students and scholars
Joint master introduction programme / management of other events
- administrative tasks (programme preparation, conference room, general information, presentations)
- communication with in-house services (catering company, ICT team)
- provide information and organise cultural and social activities
Joint master and workshop management
- administrative services (maintaining course info on university web pages, online tools, and room planning)
- support of UNU lecturers with regards to course planning, communication, evaluation, and examination processes
Education programmes promotional materials
In collaboration with the corporate designer, develop and produce promotional materials for the master’s programme (e.g. Student Welcome Guide, Student Profile Booklet, flyers, and more)
Reporting & Statistics, Accounting
- produce applicant, class, and any other statistics that might be required by the programme management, UNU HQ, or for publications
- support the assembly of the yearly scholarship report for donors
- support the monitoring of budgets (e.g. scholarships, UNU semester contributions)
- prepare and manage accounting documents for Education Unit and scholars’ expenses, communicate with the UNU-EHS Finance team as well as the University of Bonn “Drittmittelabteilung”
Required qualifications and experience
- a first degree (bachelor’s degree) in a relevant field (e.g. Education Management, Events or Office Management, Business Administration, Communication)
- at least 2 years of relevant work experience, preferably in the field of higher education
- previous experience working in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- excellent command of English (oral and written); German language ability would be an asset
- good command of the main applications of the Microsoft Office work package
- excellent communication and organisational skills
- strong ability to multitask in a small team, work autonomously, establish priorities, and handle pressure
- a “can-do attitude” and team spirit
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Duration of contract
This is full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with the possibility of renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance. The combined duration of appointments shall not exceed six (6) years.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
As soon as possible.
UNU Personal History (P.11) form
Other Jobs at the Same Organization (10)
- CHIEF OF SECTION, LIFE SUPPORT SERVICES, El Fasher, Sudan ending on 29 Jul 2019, Monday
- Programme Associate, Bonn, Germany ending on 23 Jul 2019, Tuesday
- INTERN – LEGAL AFFAIRS, New York, USA ending on 25 Jul 2019, Thursday
- Senior Security Operations and Training Officer, Amman, Jordan ending on 10 Aug 2019, Saturday
- Political Affairs Officer, Nicosia, Cyprus ending on 29 Jul 2019, Monday
- TRANSLATOR/REVISER, ENGLISH, Arusha, Tanzania ending on 10 Aug 2019, Saturday
- TRANSLATOR, KINYARWANDA, Arusha, Tanzania ending on 10 Aug 2019, Saturday
- Head of Witness Support and Protection Unit, Kigali, Rwanda ending on 10 Aug 2019, Saturday
- Service Line Manager / Human Resources Officer, Entebbe, Uganda ending on 26 Jul 2019, Friday
- Consultant – IT Auditor, HQ Amman, Jordan ending on 07 Aug 2019, Wednesday