Work Location : Kenya - Nairobi Type of Post : Accompanied - Family Other Possible Location : Funding : APPROVED Expected Travel : up to 30% Type of Contract : Language Requirement : English Application Deadline : Employee Duration : Full-Time
As a key member of the Regional Senior Leadership team, the Director-Program Operations will take shared responsibility for transformation of the ECA region to an optimal model operating at the full spectrum (humanitarian through to development). The role supports the Regional Director in driving change and improvements while also providing strong oversight to program operations delivery, ensuring the timely and successful delivery and implementation of CARE's programs in the East and Central Africa (ECA) region.
They will support nine (9) country operations with the aim of ensuring that CARE delivers quality operations and meets both its humanitarian and development mandate in all ECA countries. The role provides occasional cover for the Regional Director when absent.
They will ensure high quality support to 9 Country Offices (Uganda, Rwanda, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sudan, Burundi, Somalia, Kenya and DRC), ECA Regional Office and Member Partner staff in order to optimize the operational delivery of programs in the ECA region. The incumbent will provide a strategic role, driving effective steer for high value contracts and grants, in close collaboration with awards management and other key stakeholders.
This position is responsible for ensuring the region has strong operational systems and that these systems are effectively utilized, including working with and escalating with matrix leads in Award Management Solutions, CARE Security Unit, CARE Emergency Group (CEG), CARE USA Humanitarian Affairs, Programs and Impact teams, and Legal to ensure issues get resolved appropriately. The Director, Program Operations (PO) will be responsible for identifying operational risks to our implementation, and will lead, coordinate and strengthen risk mitigation strategies.
They will work alongside other stakeholders to ensure statutory compliance (legal registrations and renewals); on-time and on-budget award management and donor compliance, whilst supporting Program Operations through the effective management of context Analysis, and problem-solving Coordination, issue management and solution adaptations with business services teams (supply chain, Cash Management, etc.) They will contribute to Country Office (CO) strategy development in support of regional cohesion and alignment with the global strategy and ECA's Regional Road map.
They will provide targeted Change Management and improvement in the leadership, direction and processes of CARE's program operations, including support to the roll out of global and regional initiatives. They will provide support and coaching for first time Country Directors and provide programs operation oversight and direction to Country Offices. This is an evolving role and as part of the Regional Leadership Team, the selected candidate will support regional initiatives and/or global priorities as they evolve.
· Strategy development and implementation
· Risk Management and Compliance
· Oversight and support to Country Programs operations and delivery
· Leadership on change management
· Management and Coaching for Program Operations in ECA
· Coaching of first time Country Directors as may be agreed upon with the Regional Director
· Working closely with the RD and Director of Program Quality and Impact, support Regional Resource Mobilization Initiatives.
1. Master's degree or equivalent 10-15 years of senior leadership experience or relevant professional development in related discipline
2. Evidence of extensive and diverse background experience in both development and humanitarian context.
3. 7-10 years in country management roles with a large sized INGO.
4. Demonstrated knowledge and professional experience with working in the African continent and experience working in a global organization at an appropriate senior level required.
5. A strong commitment to, and a demonstrated experience in the areas of organizational development and learning, knowledge-sharing and people development.
6. Experience in coaching and supporting Country Directors and driving organizational change processes.
7. Good grasp of issues related to the cause of poverty and injustice.
8. Problem-solving and coordinating solutions across regional programs and teams.
9. Skilled in coordinating networks and building synergies across teams.
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at