Director of Office and Unesco Representative
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
Post Number : 5EGPAX0001RP
Grade : D-1
Parent Sector : Priority Africa and External Relations Sector (PAX)
Duty Station: Cairo
Job Family: External Relations
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years, renewable
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 28-FEB-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Director-General, the direct supervision of the Assistant Director-general for Priority Africa and External Relations (ADG/PAX) as regards the overall functioning of the office and representational functions, and of the Programme Assistant Directors-General as regards to the programmatic aspects related to the functions of the office as Regional Multisectoral Office, the incumbent acts as Director of the UNESCO Regional Multisectoral Office in Cairo, covering Egypt and Sudan, and as UNESCO Representative to Egypt.
The incumbent will expand and manage the multidisciplinary programme of the Office and provide intellectual, strategic and operational leadership in planning and implementing activities, responding to the priority needs of Egypt in UNESCO's fields of competence, participating in the activities of the UN at the national level in Egypt, and managing external relations and partnerships. The incumbent also ensures backstopping as regards National Programme activities of the National Office in Khartoum (Sudan).
The incumbent works within the framework of UNESCO’s Medium-Term Strategies (C/4s), approved Programmes and Budgets (C/5s), the Priority Gender Equality Action Plan and international agreed development agendas such as Agenda 2030.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Communication (C) Accountability (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C) Building partnerships (M) Driving and managing change (M) Leading and empowering others (M) Making quality decisions (M) Managing performance (M) Strategic thinking (M) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in a discipline related to UNESCO’s mandate, public or business Administration or international relations, or related field.
- At least fifteen (15) years of progressive professional experience at the appropriate management level within the United Nations system, other international, national or private sector institutions, including a wide experience in diplomatic work or development issues related to UNESCO’s areas of competence, in association with national and international organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in advocacy and resources mobilization.
- Proven partnership experience with successful implementation of partners at global, local and community levels.
- Professional experience in the field of education, sciences, culture, social sciences or communication.
Skills & Competencies
- Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision, strategic direction and priorities.
- Institutional leadership capacity, high sense of objectivity and professional integrity, diplomacy, tact and political astuteness.
- Demonstrated strategic planning and management abilities, including capacity to administer extensive programmes and projects, financial and Human Resources, as well as to exercise appropriate supervision and control.
- Capacity to provide intellectual leadership to guide staff, as well as ability to build trust, manage, lead and motivate a large and diversified body of staff in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, as well as exercise supervision and control and ensure continuous training and development of staff.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities, and risks.
- Organizational skills, including in establishing plans and priorities, and in implementing them effectively, as well as in devising implementation plans.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both orally and in writing; demonstrated ability to interact with a wide range of high-level partners.
- Excellent knowledge and drafting skills in one of the working languages (English or French) of the Organization and working knowledge of the second language.
- Courses/degree/training in a management-related field.
- Experience in the field of international relations and diplomacy, multilateral cooperation, development.
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of experience in post-crisis/post-disaster situations.
Skills & Competencies
- Broad general culture, good geopolitical knowledge of the region, sound analytic capacities.
- Proven leadership and demonstrated managerial skills combined with flexibility.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to take initiative and maintain effective working relationships with partners of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
- Good knowledge of the United Nations system
- Knowledge of Arabic.
- Knowledge of other official languages of UNESCO (Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 140 977 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO Careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as Gender Parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.