Work Location : Malawi - Lilongwe Type of Post : Not Applicable Other Possible Location : Funding : APPROVED Expected Travel : up to 30% Type of Contract : Language Requirement : ENGLISH Application Deadline : Employee Duration : Full-Time
The DCD-P is expected to provide strategic leadership in the areas of program development (new Business Development), implementation, quality and reporting. A major emphasis in this position is to play a strong Resource Mobilization and Program Technical Leadership role in ensuring that Country Office has a robust and diverse donor funding base and that programs are properly implemented fulfilling standards for Quality and Accountability along with delivering to the desired Impact in making a significant contribution to reducing poverty and social injustice.
The DCD-P is a key member of the Country Office Leadership Team and as such is responsible for leading and supporting the Country Office (CO) leadership and management initiatives. S/he may be required to become Acting CD when the CD is out of the office.
· In collaboration with the CD, lead the development and implementation of the overall Country Office (CO) Strategic Plan (Business Plan), in line with CARE International (CI) Vision 2030 and programming principles, CARE USA Global Strategic Plan, CARE Southern Africa (SA) Regional Road Map, Malawi's National (short and long-term) Development Plans, and current CARE Malawi programming priorities.
· Lead in development and implementation the overall CO Program Strategy in line with CARE International (CI) Vision 2030 and programming principles, CARE USA Global Strategic Plan, CARE Southern Africa (SA) Regional Road Map, Malawi's National (short and long term) development plans, and CO's Strategic Plan and programming priorities.
· Seek strategic partnerships necessary to promote CARE's vision and programming principles and ensure that those partners understand the COs program strategies.
· Lead in monitoring CO portfolio and take necessary measure to maintain a healthy CO portfolio all times
· Lead process with staff and partners to identify and secure funding for viable humanitarian and development programs in line with CO Strategic Plan.
· Ensure systems and plans are in place to guarantee that CO programs/projects are designed and implemented based on sound Analysis, address the underlying causes of poverty and vulnerability and achieve measurable positive impact on the poor and marginalized.
Program Management and Quality
· Oversee the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and reporting of country office programs and projects and ensure that they are in line with CO program strategy, SA Road Map and CI program strategies and according to CI Programming Principles.
· Ensure that projects and programs receive adequate Technical Support in order to meet all program technical quality standards and requirements in line donor and CI Quality standards.
External Relations and Partnerships
· Develop and enhance relationships between the CO and other parts of CARE and external organizations so that CARE can maximize its collaboration and impact on poverty reduction and social justice.
· Establish and maintain good relationships with relevant – counterparts/departments of the government, CI members, the locally-represented multi/bi-lateral donors, foundations, international and national NGOs, CBOs and other Civil Society Organizations.
· Provide proper supervision and management for all direct reports and lead the establishment and functioning of a strong, effective and coordinated Program team.
· Ensure the proper implementation of CARE's performance management system for direct reports, including job description and IOPs development, regular feedback, mid-term reviews and annual performance appraisals.
· Bachelor's Degree in related field (International Development, Agriculture/Rural Development, Social Sciences, Education, Development Research, Business/Strategic Management, Economics, Development Policy etc.)
· A minimum of 10 years of increasing responsibility in team leadership and program management in both humanitarian and development programs - given the current context in Malawi, the job requires a person with strong background and extensive experience in both development and emergency humanitarian programming in order to lead a possible scale up of CARE Malawi long term development and emergency humanitarian programs as required.
· Experience and demonstrated success in fundraising and maintaining relationships with various donors, understanding he donor environment, key stakeholders in the funding eco-system – to ensure organizational sustainability in the long term.
· Experience with large bilateral and multilateral grant acquisition and compliance as well multi-sectoral program operations.
· Demonstrated experience in designing innovative programs, writing high quality proposals with a good win rate track record.
· Experience project and people management experience - overseeing operations/implementation of activities, and ensuring alignment with project and organizational goals, managing budgets, coordinating teams, managing employee performance, etc.
High on enterprise, ownership and ability to ‘co-create’ and lead programs.
· Excellent budgeting and financial management skills.
· Demonstrated excellent networking skills.
· Professional level fluency in English - ability to speak and write articulately about CARE programs and gain credibility with a variety of audiences.
· Proven visionary and strategic abilities.
· Demonstrated soft skills - critical thinking, Problem Solving, analytical thinking, detail-oriented, negotiation, and communication skills.
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at