This Position is only for Bangladeshi Nationals
Reporting to the Country Director, the Deputy Country Director - Program Support (DCD – PS) provides leadership, direction and is responsible for Country Office (CO), Administrative and Operational Support processes and functions embracing Administration, IT, Procurement, Transport Services, Grants and Contracts and routine business security. Furthermore, the DCD - PS is required to play a substantive and essential hands-on role in the development or enhancement of CO systems, policy and processes across the spectrum of all CO departments, including within Finance, HR and Program.
The post requires exceptional, proactive, professional operational management skills and experience, coupled with the ability to make coherent and sometimes difficult decisions and/or recommendations to ensure program support is implemented efficiently and cost effectively, providing the highest quality services and information to “clients” at all the different levels of CARE, as well as for individuals, communities, donors and the stakeholders.
- Ensure Core Organizational processes are viable and responsive to country office mission and program
- Sets direction and takes responsibility for provision of overall strategic management across all PS & Operations functions (HR, Procurement, Administration, ICT, Transport, Safety and Security) and GAAM by providing strategic leadership and advice to Operations team.
- Develop and organize activities of Program Support Department to provide timely and effective support to CO program to ensure objectives are met.
- Provide support in the annual planning process and prioritize activities for the PS/Operations Department.
- Fosters links between Program and Program Support ensuring seamless coordination and support for Program Management.
- Ensure PS/Operations strategies are integrated into the overall CO strategy, work with the senior management team to ensure that CARE has the appropriate staffing structures, optimum Management Systems, and support systems to implement high quality programming.
- Lead business process improvements for the CO operations to bring about efficiency and effectiveness to the CO.
- Providing training and management support to field offices for smooth running of all program support functions at field office level with regular visits. Support in decentralization/centralization of program support function effectively for field offices with clear roles & responsibility matrix.
- Responsible for staff performance management, development and Talent Management, capacity building of the PS/Operations team and the CO.
- Ensure human and material resources are effectively and efficiently obtained and made available for the sound execution of CO program and operations.
- In collaboration with program team ensure effective award and sub grant management including due diligence review, capacity building and implementation of preventive/corrective actions.
- Policy and Operations Systems Development, Review and Implementation
- Initiate new, revise existing PS/operations policies, systems and procedures in-line organization global/regional policies along with the legal and donor requirements in Bangladesh.
- Lead on process efficiencies through implementation of ERP business system for all program support functions.
- Ensures CO compliance with donor rules and regulations in all PS/Operations functions; actively work with Asia Regional Management Unit Team in the preparedness for audits; supports in CO response to audit findings as well as planning and implementing audit recommendations
- Ensure sound internal control systems are in place and functioning to ensure adherence to policies and procedures
- Ensures the consistent and uniform implementation of the Policy and Procedures throughout the CO to ensure the accomplishment of the CO deliverable;
- Coordinate with management on legal matters in the CO, work with Asia Regional Management Unit (ARMU), CARE USA legal and in Country legal Advisor.
- Work with Country Director and DCD-Programs to ensure that PS/operation policies, systems and procedures are supportive in program implementation.
- Work closely with Deputy Regional Director - Program Support on roll-out of global policies and processes.
- Tracks and trouble shoots business units performance ensuring appropriate remedies and adjustments.
- Responsible for achieving all program support related performance indicators from CO performance dashboard.
- Consistently tracks business process unit’s performance against key performance targets and provides guidance for necessary improvement and adaptation.
- Support procurement and other project teams in timely trouble-shooting system (PEOPLESOFT) related issues.
- Coach project team on systems (PEOPLESOFT) software as needed on procurement function.
- Coordination of functional units operations budgets in line with agreed plans.
- Approve and ensure spending of PS/Operations budget is in line with donor requirement
- Support internal audit team to ensure effective internal control systems and that assets and resources and CARE are appropriately safeguarded.
- Support program teams to ensure donor compliance for all projects and programs under existing and new donors
- Provide input including operational risk Analysis and recommendations to the Country Director related to effectiveness of CO reporting and planning systems.
- Team Management and Leadership.
- Provide proper supervision and management for all direct reports and lead the establishment and functioning of a strong, effective and coordinated team.
- Ensure the proper and timely implementation of CARE’s performance management systems for direct reports including job description, regular feedback, midterm reviews and annual performance appraisals.
- Proactively address performance issues through regular, and constructive feedback and coaching; identify necessary staff development, and career development strategies for direct reports.
- Ensure across the board compliance with organizational, donor and (host) government rules and regulations.
- Ensure the effective and efficient implementation of PeopleSoft (CAREs financial software) at all applicable levels of PS/Operations.
- Ensure that functional units under PS/Operations are organized in the best way possible, i.e the structure is the most appropriate aligning to the goals of the unit and the situation; the staff has clear, well-designed responsibilities, is well trained and motivated; the policies are relevant and easy to manage; the systems are efficient, effective and user-friendly; services are effectively and efficiently rendered.
- Ensure that these units achieve the goals they have set for themselves by: providing guidance and momentum to the planning process; monitoring progress on a regular basis and checking that the objectives remain relevant and redirecting efforts as needed.
- Oversee legal, statutory relations and ensure a viable program support structure
- Ensure strong, effective and principled CARE BGD liaison with government agencies and departments at national level and in areas of operations.
- Ensure that support systems and structures are in place to meet program needs and that they are compliant with relevant internal and external policies and procedures.
- Ensure a "client focused" service for all transport and logistical needs in the CO. Fleet Management is a high cost center in the CO and direct oversight of vehicle policy, procurement, utilization, maintenance and cost benefit analysis of in-house or outsourced service provision is required.
- Ensure that Support Units and Functions operate on a full cost recovery basis.
- Continuously review organizational capability and future needs and lead on improved service provision throughout the CO. This will include consideration of possible new organizational structures and business models as appropriate.
- Lead on all legal, compliance, tax, insurance and contractual matters in the CO. This will include acting as the point person for all internal and external communications and directly liaising with the CO Legal Advisor.
- Ensure appropriate mechanisms are in place to ensure staff safety and security
- Continuous trend analysis of risk and effective management
- Keep strongly tracking current and any potential risk and assist CD and SMT putting together effective systems in place to mitigate and addressing those risks.
- Responsible for effective implementation of risk and compliance management for CARE in Bangladesh.
- Ensure that CO risk register is kept updated, risk/issues are identified proactively, mitigation strategies adopted and escalated to appropriate levels as per the policy to CD and Deputy Regional Director-Program Support.
- Other associated responsibilities as assigned
- Adhere to and support CARE Bangladesh’s Safety and Security policy and systems
- As part of this role, the job holder will be expected to adhere to and support CARE Bangladesh’s Safety and Security policy and systems as part of their day to day duties, and comply, at all times, to safety & security protocols and directives, including reporting. Staff must maintain situational and self – awareness and be aware of the safety – security related consequences of their actions upon themselves, their team and the organization as a whole.
- CARE is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct and expects staff to promote the welfare of children, young people and adults at all times. CARE expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our Code of Conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate this commitment are recruited to work with us.
- Master’s in Business Administration or similar.
- Minimum of 12 years’ experience in program support and operations in large international NGO with a minimum of 5 years at the Senior Leadership position.
- Good knowledge and experience in institutionalizing compliance and accountability system and procedures.
- Sound knowledge and hands on experience of internal and external audit requirements.
- Demonstrated skills and motivation towards gender and cultural sensitivities, valuing diversity and championing organizational and staff diversity, upholding the organizational core values.
- Demonstrated experience and success in developing operational systems, processes and supporting policy.
- Expertise on using MS office suite.
- International Development Experience.
How to apply
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
Starting salaries are based on internal equity, candidate experience, and the cost of labor where the job is based. Salaries listed only apply to jobs based in the US.”