Work Location : Somalia - Mogadishu Type of Post : Other Possible Location : Funding : THIS POSITION IS PENDING DONOR APPROVAL Expected Travel : Type of Contract : Language Requirement : Application Deadline : Employee Duration : Full-Time
CARE seeks an education expert to serve as Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) on the anticipated USAID-funded Somalia Accelerated Basic Education Activity. This $23-$30 million activity will build upon USAID/Somalia’s investment in non-formal education and increase access to education for the nearly four million out-of-school children and youth in Somalia. The Activity will expand access to education in communities where current demand is not being met, and a free, public option is needed. The activity also aims to improve the overall quality of education by increasing teacher capacity and further developing evidenced-based teaching and learning materials.
The DCOP will support the Chief of Party (COP) in all programmatic and administrative areas. They will lead and provide technical expertise in programming public participation and coordinating the program’s work with beneficiaries. In collaboration with the COP, the DCOP will be responsible for the successful performance of the project as defined in the program’s statement of work.
This position is pending donor approval and funding.
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia. This is an unaccompanied post location.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
· Oversee the coordinated planning (of activities and resources) and implementation of the program and program operations in line with state-of-the art strategies, technical standards, and applicable USAID rules and regulations.
· Coordinate technical inputs on project activities. Hire and supervise technical staff, perform quality control, and ensure appropriate collaboration with partner project teams.
· Oversee fulfillment of all contract deliverables including technical and administrative reports.
· Manage and supervise the work of project team members, subcontractors, and expert consultants to achieve relevant project objectives and targets and ensure timely implementation of designated activities.
· Promote a team approach that emphasizes high-level performance, creative approaches, adaptive feedback and achievement of project goals in a cooperative, collegial atmosphere.
· Support the COP in all management aspects of the project and represent the program in the COP’s absence to key national, sub-national, and international partners.
· Oversee budget implementation and Financial Management as needed.
· Ensure project activities comply with donor regulations, project management policies, and CARE Somalia rules and regulations.
· Create Management Systems in line with CARE’s standard operating procedures, ensuring consistency with project needs.
· University degree required. Advanced degree in a relevant discipline (social science, education, development studies, business Administration or related field) from an accredited academic institution preferred. Work experience may substitute for advanced degree.
· Minimum 8 years of progressively responsible senior experience in international development as Deputy Chief of Party, Project Director or senior management experience on large education Development Projects.
· At least 3 years’ experience working in/on fragile or post-conflict states, Somalia preferred.
· Demonstrated experience in USAID education programming, preferably in Somalia.
· Experience managing USAID cooperative agreements and/or contracts.
· Experience managing required programmatic and financial reporting requirements.
· Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with host governments, donors, other donor-funded projects and stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
· Demonstrated commitment to principles of Gender Equity, Diversity, Belonging and Inclusion.
· Demonstrated commitment to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Harassment (PSEAH).
· Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills.
· Experience recruiting, developing, and managing staff and teams.
· Fluency in English required; Somali language skills preferred.
· Previous experience in project country and/or comparable international experience.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity, and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. CARE is Zero Tolerant organization for Child Abuse and sexual exploitation and abuse.
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at