HIAS seeks a Communications Specialist, LAC who will be responsible for planning, implementing and monitoring the communications strategy for Latin America and the Caribbean, including managing social Media Platforms, supporting communications at the country level and enhancing the organization's identity and brand awareness. Reporting to the Advocacy & Communications Manager, LAC, the Communications Specialist, LAC will play a critical role in advancing country level and regional communications to build support, advance policies and improve services and outcomes for forcibly displaced people.
HIAS’ comprehensive regional response in LAC meets the urgent needs of refugees, Asylum Seekers and other forcibly displaced people in Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, Panama, Aruba, Guyana, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru, primarily originating from Venezuela, Nicaragua, Colombia and North of Central America. HIAS’ regional strategy relies on our high-impact services and well-established partnerships with donors and partners, including governments, UN agencies and NGOs, and local and refugee communities. It capitalizes on our expertise providing operational support and programming in Legal Protection, Gender-Based Violence Prevention & Response, Community-Based Mental Health & Psychosocial Support, Economic Inclusion and Emergency Response. The LAC displacement and humanitarian context is complex and requires robust partnerships, quality interventions and effective communications to meet the needs of diverse refugee and migrant populations.
Note, this position is based in the LAC region in countries where HIAS has existing operations.
- Supports the design and implementation of HIAS country offices’ communications strategies, campaigns and products together with country teams.
- Supports the drafting, design, implementation and follow-up of communications strategies, plans and products for donors.
- Develops and reviews communications products, including factsheets, brochures, newsletters, reports, media articles, press releases, videos and photos, talking points, key messages, etc.
- In coordination with country offices, supports the dissemination of communications products to increase HIAS’ visibility and engagement with a wider audience.
- Coordinates with HIAS’ HQ Communications team to ensure communications are on brand and follow HIAS’ and donors’ guidelines; provides support and reviews the content related to the region in HQ communications.
- Develops and implements a regional Social Media Strategy, guide and action plan to expand HIAS´ presence and engagement in Social Media Platforms.
- Plans specific, timely campaigns across all platforms in line with global and regional events and trends.
- Plans and arranges promotional events, news conferences, campaigns, press releases and exhibitions.
- Responds to media inquiries, handles interview requests and performs media Mapping and outreach in the region, in coordination with HQ and country offices.
- Provides advice on communications opportunities to increase HIAS’ visibility and positioning.
- Maintains relations with the media.
- Supports external communications with HQ and country offices during emergency response efforts.
- Maintains and updates Digital Media archives.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Undergraduate degree in communications or related field required; related graduate degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience creating social media content, managing communications strategies and campaigns, and working in media or marketing.
- English and Spanish fluency are both required.
- Strong understanding of the regional media landscape and context.
- Experience in refugee and migration issues is an asset.
- Experience in the NGO sector.
- Strong communications skills (both oral and written) and analytical skills (e.g., news-writing, headline-writing, social media content, drafting and editing skills).
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage time efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to work well independently and coordinate with teams.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook essential).
- Excellent management of social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.
- Experience with basic graphic design and video editing preferred, with specific knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Premiere and Canva strongly preferred.
- Commitment to HIAS’ mission and values, and refugee protection.
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. Here’s a snapshot of our hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your application!
Step 2: Phone screen with a HIAS recruiter.
Step 3: Video interview with the hiring manager.
Step 4: Video interview with a panel of HIAS employees.
Step 5: Online reference check with SkillSurvey.
Step 6: Offer and background check with Shield Screening or ESR.
Step 7: Start your professional journey with HIAS!
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.
Over one hundred years ago, the Jewish community founded HIAS (originally the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) in New York City, the immigrant gateway to America. Supporting Jews fleeing persecution and poverty in Eastern Europe, our founders were guided by the traditions, texts and history of the Jewish people—a history of oppression, displacement and diaspora. HIAS has since helped generations of Jews facing violence because of who they were, and HIAS remains committed to helping Jewish refugees anywhere in the world. Today, our clients at HIAS come from diverse faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds, as do our staff. We bring our experience, history and values to our work across five continents, ensuring that refugees today receive the vital services and opportunities they need to thrive.
HIAS is a learning community, committed to diversity and inclusion. We do our work with integrity, accountability, transparency and a commitment to the highest ethical standards. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our teams located in the United States and across the globe. People who identify as BIPOC, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ+ community and people with lived experiences of forced displacement or immigration are all encouraged to apply. We are committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects our vision, mission and values.
HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety and opportunity.
Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Welcome • Acogimiento • Hospitalité • Hachnasat Orchim
We Welcome the Stranger
Justice • Justicia • Justice • Tzedek
We Pursue Justice
Empathy • Empatía • Empathie • Chesed
We Approach our Clients with Empathy
Partnership • Compañerismo • Coopération • Chevruta
We Believe in Changing the World through Partnership
Courage • Coraje • Courage • Ometz
We Act with Courage to Build a Better World
Resilience • Resiliencia • Résilience • Ruach
We Adapt and Thrive, Continuously Demonstrating our Resilience
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, ancestry, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, protected veteran status, political orientation or other legally protected status.
HIAS is committed to the protection of children, vulnerable adults and any other person from any harm caused directly or indirectly due to their coming into contact with HIAS.We will not tolerate sexual exploitation, abuse or any form of Child Abuse or neglect by our staff or associated personnel**.** Any candidate offered a job with HIAS will be expected to sign and adhere to HIAS’ Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policies.All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records. HIAS also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. Likewise, HIAS will share this information when other organizations inquire about current and former HIAS staff as part of their recruitment process. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
How to apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter and application to our website: https://hias.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=2361384&&&nohd#job