Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit Global Development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
R4D seeks a Chief of Party (COP) for the expected multi-year USAID-funded follow-on to the current Health Financing Improvement Program in Ethiopia (HFIP). This program will strengthen Ethiopia’s health financing systems and help advance the country’s progress towards universal health coverage (UHC) through effective, patient-centered care.
The COP will provide technical leadership, management and project oversight, and strategic vision for the health financing program. They will be responsible for making key decisions and rapidly solving problems while ensuring program quality and maintaining effective program operations. The COP will ensure Coordination and integration across multiple activity components at national and subnational levels, and will serve as the primary project representative to key stakeholders including USAID/Ethiopia, the Government of Ethiopia, numerous implementing partners, and other funding agencies. They will have expertise in health systems strengthening and a background in health financing, with demonstrated experience managing USAID contracts or cooperative agreements.
This position is contingent upon award and funding from USAID and approval of key personnel. Ethiopian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide strategic vision for strengthening health financing in Ethiopia through the program, integrating global best practices in health financing and responding to local and USAID priorities.
- Provide program oversight across all workstreams to ensure the delivery of key program objectives with high quality.
- Oversee the Design and implementation of all activities, including co-creation of approaches, evidence generation, and Capacity Development.
- Build project teams with the right skills and then supervise and mentor those teams to ensure high-quality implementation.
- Manage critical relationships with a range of partners, including USAID, the Government of Ethiopia, other funders, and implementing partners.
- Oversee the development of workplans, ensure compliance with donor reporting requirements and other regulations, and manage the work of subcontractors
- Advanced degree in the relevant subject area, preferably in economics/Health Economics, public health, public policy, public Administration, or other relevant disciplines.
- 10+ years of experience managing projects, ideally including USAID project management.
- 5+ years experience in senior-level international development programming including demonstrated ability to work with policymakers, governments, USAID Missions, and partner organizations.
- 5+ years of supervisory experience. Proven track record of building teams and fostering collaboration in order to achieve goals, meet milestones, and produce high-quality deliverables.
- Demonstrated technical leadership in health financing, health insurance, public Financial Management, and/or health economics.
- Previous experience working on the design and implementation of capacity development efforts, facilitation, and stakeholder management, particularly in the context of Ethiopia.
- Experience building relationships with government officials, private sector actors, and civil society stakeholders at multiple levels, including the sub-national level.
- Experience developing and overseeing budgets, managing resources, and supporting recruitment and Program Management efforts.
- Excellent communication skills, including fluency in both verbal and written English.
- Willingness to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and travel throughout Ethiopia.
How to apply
Please click here to apply.