About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the
belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the
world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and
build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Resource Development (RD) staff work in three main areas: 1)
raising private funds and cultivating and maintaining relationships
with private donors; 2) defining the agency’s brand, raising our
public profile and sharing stories about our work by engaging with
the media, the public, and our supporters and producing a wide
range of online and offline communications; and 3) teaching
visitors to our Portland Action Center about issues of global
poverty and engaging them in efforts to end it.
The RD team includes several dozen dynamic professionals who
possess a wide range of skills. We are database managers, web
developers, digital marketers and public relations experts. We are
writers, designers, photographers and teachers. We are fundraisers
with expertise in direct response, online, community, major gift
and corporate giving. We are specialists in fundraising analysis,
stewardship, prospecting and customer service. Most of all, we are
passionate about Mercy Corps’ mission and dedicated to supporting
our worldwide team that’s improving the lives of 20 million people
in over 40 countries.
General Position Summary
The Brand Copywriter creates content that engages our audiences
and distinguishes the Mercy Corps brand. The Brand Copywriter sits
on our Brand Creative Team and is a key conceptual contributor
working alongside designers, video editor, and strategists to write
and develop multi-channel activations, engagements and campaign
themes/messages. Project work includes drafting, developing and
editing content for print, web and social channels –
including agency-wide marketing materials, articles, scripts, etc.,
contributes to developing and integrating brand messaging, and
refining the overall Mercy Corps brand tone and voice.
Essential Job Responsibilities
STRATEGY & VISION
- Translates strategy briefs into concepts and content that drive
Mercy Corps audiences toward a desired action.
- Translates complex issues into compelling and accessible
- Writes content to support Mercy Corps’ business
- Efficiently leverages audience insights, production realities,
and Mercy Corps’ brand story.
- Manage or coordinate all writing tasks including developing
concept themes, messaging, writing treatments and/or contributing
to creative briefs, draft reviews, proofreading.
- Manage and develop a network of freelance writing and
proofreading resources as needed.
- Function with a high level of autonomy and adaptability while
working within a flexible and collaborative team setting.
INFLUENCE & REPRESENTATION
- Collaborates with strategists, designers, photographers, video
editor and other members of the Brand and RD Teams to write content
and develop projects from concept to execution.
- Work with internal partners across the agency—content
strategy, project management, creative, communications, programs
and the field—in developing ideas and bringing projects to
- Maintain a deep understanding of brand stewardship to ensure
Mercy Corps’ brand comes to life consistently across all written
- Stays up-to-date on Mercy Corps’ programs and stories to
leverage in assignments.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in
support of our understanding that learning organizations are more
effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we
expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning
activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts
toward accountability, specificallyto our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding
international relief and development work, while actively engaging
beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring
and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a
professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s
policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country
Reports Directly To: Creative Lead
Works Directly With: Brand Marketing Team,
Communications Team, Resource and Development Team, Field and
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent in related field required – English,
creative writing, marketing, or advertising.
- 4+ years of experience writing for a variety of audiences and
media – diversified portfolio of writing samples
- Agency experience preferred.
- Track record of using conceptual frameworks to develop engaging
campaigns and multichannel content.
- Superior written and verbal communications skills, along with
high degree of emotional intelligence, is a must.
- Able to distill concepts and translate technical language into
accessible human stories.
- Ability to write with a style and voice that is consistent with
the brand, while fine-tuning copy to meet a desired audience.
- Understands—and is continually curious about—how
storytelling, marketing copy and engagement trends evolve across
varied media types.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
The successful Brand Copywriter is an eternally curious,
creative, and ambitious communicator. They are eager to learn,
experiment with new formats, and investigate ideas. S/he thinks
about the audience first, and will challenge strategies and briefs
to help the team deliver the best user experience and drive
results. S/he will be familiar with Mercy Corps’ mission and will
be able to convey a sense of intensity and urgency about the global
issues central to the work of Mercy Corps. S/he will be a
resourceful, flexible and practical individual who can solve
immediate problems while retaining focus on strategy and on
Occasional work in the evening and on the weekends, as well as
some domestic and/or international travel required. 10% travel.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of
Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer
regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive
Portland, Oregon, United States
Other Jobs at the Same Organization (10)
- Human Resources Manager, Amman, Jordan ending on 30 May 2019, Thursday
- Senior Gift Officer – Resource Development, San Francisco, USA ending on 30 May 2019, Thursday
- Strategic Logistics Procurement Manager, Erbil, Iraq ending on 30 May 2019, Thursday
- Research Assistant – Vice President of Policy and Advocacy, Washington DC, USA ending on 30 May 2019, Thursday
- Jordan – Youth Impact Lab Research Intern, Amman, Jordan ending on 25 May 2019, Saturday
- INGO Forum Deputy Director (Humanitarian), Maiduguri, Nigeria ending on 25 May 2019, Saturday
- Program Director Multisectoral Humanitarian Response – Aden, Yemen ending on 25 May 2019, Saturday
- Partnership Coordination Adviser – Beirut,Lebanon, Beirut, Lebanon ending on 25 May 2019, Saturday
- Senior Advisor – Water (Open to Hague), Washington DC, USA ending on 25 May 2019, Saturday
- Voucher/Cash Specialist, Derek, Iraq ending on 25 May 2019, Saturday