Date: Mar 4, 2021
Location: Korea (KOR), KR
Company: Green Climate FundGrade: IS - 1 Deadline: 4 April 2021 (11:59 PM KST) Location: Songdo, Incheon, South Korea Contract Length: 3 years Entry Salary: USD 79,000 The Green Climate Fund (the Fund) is a new multilateral fund created to make a significant and ambitious contribution to the global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community to combat Climate Change.
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions that reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Our talented staff makes unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
The Independent Evaluation Unit (IEU) of the GCF is mandated by the GCF Board under paragraph 60 of its governing instrument inform its decision making. Specifically, the governing instrument states, “… the Board will establish an operationally independent evaluation unit as part of the core structure of the Fund. The head of the unit will be selected by and will report to, the Board. The frequency and types of evaluation to be conducted will be specified by the unit in agreement with the Board.” The IEU has several objectives includes:
- Informing decision-making by the Board, and identifying and disseminating lessons learned, contributing to guiding the GCF and stakeholders as a learning institution, providing strategic guidance.
- Conducting periodic independent evaluations of GCF performance to objectively assess the results of the GCF and the effectiveness and efficiency of its activities; and
- Providing evaluation reports to the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the Paris Agreement for purposes of periodic reviews of the Financial Mechanism
The IEU is seeking to recruit an Evaluation Researcher – Data modelling. The successful candidate will predominately work within the IEU’s DataLab workstream, where he/she will report to the DataLab officer while working along with other staff members.
The candidate will be responsible for supporting the IEU DataLab to develop and analyse proprietary datasets to inform IEU’s independent evaluations, policy papers, reviews, studies, learning papers, and systematic reviews. He/she will also be responsible for developing and implementing the databases, data collection systems, data analytics, and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality.
In addition to this, the Evaluation Researcher – Data modelling will also be responsible for providing support for the IEU’s independent evaluations by functioning as an IEU DataLab Focal Point. He/she will be a member of evaluations and expected to identify, analyse, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data to succinct informing evaluation reports.
This role requires an excellent understanding of quantitative methods, including data cleaning, data manipulation, data modelling and analyses. Having technical expertise regarding data models, database Design Development, data mining and segmentation techniques. Furthermore, the candidate will also need to show strong skills in using statistical software packages (such as R, STATA, SPSS, Tableau), database Management Systems, and extensive experience in applying such software in a professional environment. An ability to understand the context behind the data and subsequently convey data findings in a comprehensible manner to non-technical stakeholders is also vital.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Evaluation Researcher - Data will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following tasks:
- Support the development and maintenance of datasets collected from both external and internal data sources. Undertake duties such as the design of metadata, extraction of data from structured/unstructured sources, and conducting data cleaning.
- Identify the architecture, infrastructure, and interfaces to data sources, tools supporting automated data loads, security concerns, analytical models, and data visualization.
- Oversee and govern the expansion of existing Data Architecture and optimise data query performance via best practices. The candidate must also be able to work independently and collaboratively.
- Devise and implement efficient and secure procedures for Data Handling and Analysis with attention to all technical aspects
- Developing and implementing data analyses, data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality of the data.
- Assist with reports drafting during IEU evaluations by ensuring all data findings are conveyed accurately and robustly.
- Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and maintain databases/data systems. Includes methods such as surveys both on- and offline, interviews, focus groups discussion, etc., with internal and external stakeholder groups.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems in data collection, analyses and reporting. And be willing to deal with tasks both at the headquarters and in the field.
- Provide support to IEU learning and working research papers.
- Support any additional analytical and operational tasks as assigned by the IEU, willing to travel, as required.
- Master’s degree in Data Science, Econometrics, Economics, Applied Statistics, Environmental Sciences or related fields.
- Preferably more than three (3) years of relevant work experience in a professional capacity, such as experience in the development and economic sector; within an international organization or development agency.
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques
- Experience with data warehouse, data lake, and enterprise Big Data platforms in multi-data-centre contexts required.
- Proven track record in applying data management and analysis skills for assessment and evaluation work. Full proficiency in using methods of data extraction, manipulation and visualization in complex settings are a must. Knowledge of sophisticated data cleaning techniques and the ability to deal with unstructured data is essential.
- Strong statistical knowledge with experience in methods of multivariate analysis for both correlational and causational analysis (Regression, Cluster analysis, Factor analysis, etc.).
- Knowledge of Machine Learning algorithms and stochastic modelling or econometrics would be desirable.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyse, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Proven track record in the application of statistical software packages, (including SPSS, STATA, R, Tableau, etc.) and data management software (Excel, SQL, etc.) in a professional environment.
- Strong competence and professional autonomy in the use of standard software programmes: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access.
- Excellent communication skills, including an ability to articulate complex issues both verbally and non-verbally in a concise manner – data storytelling.
- Ability to support the establishment and maintenance of relationships with key partners – including but not limited to the ability to represent the unit and interface effectively with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to cope in a high-stress work environment through strong organisation skills with a high emotional quotient - proven experience in facilitating communication between various levels of management, working independently in order to meet deadlines, and multi-tasking while paying close attention to detail.
- Experience in establishing strong working relationships with colleagues of different technical skillsets as well as socio-cultural backgrounds. Proven leadership abilities within a team environment.
- Mature judgment and absolute commitment to confidentiality. Must possess strong personal integrity and commitment to the IEU’s mission of providing transparency and accountability to the Green Climate Fund.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential for this position. Knowledge of another Spanish and/or French is considered an advantage.