- Organization:United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
- Ending:26 Mar 2019, Tuesday
- Posted:14 Mar 2019, Thursday
- Location: kocaeli, turkey
The United Nations General Assembly resolution 71/251 established the Technology Bank for Least Developed Countries and adopted its Charter on 23 December 2016. The objectives of the Technology Bank include strengthening the science, technology and innovation capacity of least developed countries; and promoting the development and implementation of national and regional science, technology and innovation strategies. This position is located at Technology Bank for the LDCs, based in Gebze, Turkey. The Advocacy and Communications Specialist reports to the Managing Director of the Technology Bank. For more information, please see http://unohrlls.org/technologybank/
Under the guidance of the Managing Director, the incumbent serves as a specialist in advocacy and communications. The role involves managing, leading and guiding staff, as well providing leadership and advise on advocacy and communication strategies to promote the Technology Bank’s objectives at the highest political and decision-making levels. The Specialist will work with partners, donors, and key influencers in order to achieve these objectives.
The specific responsibilities of the Communications and Advocacy Specialist include:
Under the guidance of the Managing Director, work on global advocacy and communication, ensuring that all opportunities are optimally utilized to build high-level political commitment for the Technology Bank at global level, within the least developed countries, development partners and all relevant non state actors including the private sector.
- In consultation with the Managing Director and other colleagues, lead on the creation of key messaging and a communications strategy for the Technology Bank.
- Lead on creating, procuring and managing services to establish a new visual identity and style guide for the Technology Bank
- Work with technical contractors to establish, map, produce content for and design a website for the Technology Bank.
- Establish a bank of images to be used for communications purposes and the website
- Write a social media strategy and establish the first social media accounts for the Technology Bank, ensuring maintenance, messaging and continuity across accounts.
- Assist with communications activities for key events organized by and in relation to, the Technology Bank.
- Ensure effective communication between all stakeholders and provide guidance on advocacy and communication related follow up actions from the Technology Bank.
- Promote the Technology Bank and its objectives by ensuring high visibility and understanding of its mandate at the highest political level, building a movement to strengthen global and national fundraising and advocacy efforts.
- The incumbent will be responsible, for event specific advocacy strategies and messaging. The Specialist will lay out the tactics, plan events, engage partners, build and sustain campaigns and proactively take necessary action – to ensure these meet the objectives of the Communications Strategy
- The specialist will ensure that all advocacy work is planned and executed in close collaboration with all Technology Bank teams and partners.
- Critically assess the progress and achievements, ensuring appropriate evaluation mechanisms are in place. The Specialist will identify gaps and pitfalls, recommend remedial actions and, within the delegated authority, implement innovative strategies for further improvements.
- Advise the Managing Director and other staff in the development of advocacy proposals and strategic activities to ensure that these meet the requirements of high level stakeholders, political and decision-making bodies and promote further cooperation and coordination with partners.
- Represent the Technology Bank externally and internally at the UN. This includes working with the UN Communications Group, Regional Information Centers and other relevant bodies.
- Manage, guide and motivate staff including, but not limited to, providing training and individual advise on communications issues.
- Collaborate on the development and execution of partnership work plans and budgets related to advocacy and communications and the optimization of the use of financial and human resources, as well as effective processes, streamlined procedures and best practices.
- Develop advocacy and communication messages and strategies to be used by The Technology Bank for increasing the funding available globally.
- Through effective communication, ensure that The Technology Bank, including its mandate and work, is well understood by development partners and country missions in least developed countries and developing partners
- Perform other related responsibilities as assigned, to assist the Managing Director and others as required
- Advanced university degree in communications, journalism or public relations or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in advocacy and communication strategies, including advocating, campaigning, networking, public relations at national and international levels.
- Development of advocacy/communication campaigns related to international development ( In technology related issues would be an asset)
- Experience in the development of advocacy strategies and related high level messages through interaction at senior level, and proven experience in the elaboration of strategic plans, fund/raising activities, working under pressure to deliver results against tight deadline is an asset.
- Experience of working with International Organizations in the area of strategic advocacy for at least 5 years with a focus on science, innovation and technology or poverty related issues preferred.
- Experience in leading and managing multicultural teams at an local or international level and responsibility for managing budgets.
- Experience interacting with and presenting to senior leadership of donors, government and partner organizations.
- Experience and understanding of science, innovation and technology and least developed countries with demonstrated capacity to work and engage high level stakeholders,preferred.
- Experience of direct working with high level representatives, preferred
- Networking capacity with important stakeholders – including but not limited to private sector, business leaders, members of parliament, senior government officers and/or Ministers is a great asset.
- Excellent knowledge of English with proven ability to communicate in English (spoken and written) in a clear and concise manner is required. Competency in French, preferred.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type: International ICA
Contract level: IICA-4 Contract duration: Short-Term ICA For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- Pease note that recruitment is a Desk Review and for immediate hire
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS – United Nations Office for Project Services
Other Jobs at the Same Organization (6)
- HR Specialist – Performance Management and Career Development, Copenhagen, Denmark ending on 02 Jun 2019, Sunday
- Expert.e en Violences Basées sur le Genre, Bangui ending on 26 May 2019, Sunday
- HR Senior Assistant, Ciudad de Panama, Panama ending on 26 May 2019, Sunday
- Partnerships Analyst, Copenhagen, Denmark ending on 01 Jan 1970, Thursday
- Asistente Administrativa(o), San José, Costa Rica ending on 26 May 2019, Sunday
- Political Associate, Kathmandu, Nepal ending on 17 Nov 2018, Saturday