IRC Background: The mission of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC has a presence in over 40 countries and 27 offices in the United States; the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC opened an office in Turlock in 2002 and provides immediate resettlement assistance, employment assistance, intensive case management, immigration services, health and wellness programs, and youth services.
The Administrative Assistant will serve as the central point of contact for clients with the IRC Immigration Team, and provide administrative support to the team. This position involves working directly with clients in a fast-paced environment while maintaining professional standards for capturing accurate information, coordinating client appointments, and facilitating high quality communication. The Administrative Assistant will also conduct outreach to the broader community regarding services available through the IRC immigration program. This position reports to the Immigration Program Manager, Turlock, but works closely with all members of the immigration team.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of IRC Turlock’s case acceptance policies, which include enrollment eligibility criteria across immigration Legal Services programs.
- Conduct preliminary screenings for walk-in clients seeking immigration legal services to determine potential program eligibility and triage scheduling or inclusion on a waitlist.
- Schedule appointments for immigration clients with legal assistants, legal representatives, and/or attorneys; follow up with clients through reminder text messages and/or phone calls.
- Maintain a detailed, accurate and comprehensive database of walk-in clients and returning clients, including basic biographic information, current contact information, and other data as needed.
- Answer phone calls, emails and text messages from clients and resolve common client concerns, such as regarding updated contact information, position on waitlists for services, or estimated USCIS case processing times; follow protocols to appropriately relay questions requiring legal Analysis or more detailed case information to team members; and log all client communications in the case management software.
- Track inquiries for services, gathering data to inform program operations and services as identified by the Immigration Program Manager, Turlock. Data may include number of walk-in clients, referral sources, waitlist times, and requested services.
- Open and log all mail (USCIS/NVC correspondence) for immigration programs into the case management software.
- Create and maintain virtual and/or physical case files according to standardized model.
- Scan and upload clear and complete copies of case-related documents to Box; print and prepare clear and complete copies of materials to be submitted to USCIS as part of legal filings.
- In Coordination with the Program Manager, conduct monthly administrative file review.
- Understand and strictly abide by rules of confidentiality and protocols regarding unauthorized practice of Law.
- Other tasks and projects as assigned by the Immigration Program Manager.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Immigration Program Manager, Turlock
Position directly supervises: n/a
- Bilingual English and a major client language highly preferred. Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of and / or interest to learn about immigration legal services.
- Experience working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment is required; experience with individuals who are Limited English Proficient (LEP) highly desired.
- Self-starter with strong problem-solving skills combined with a solid ability to prioritize duties, coordinate time effectively, and excel in a client-facing, fast-paced position.
- Interest and ability to contribute both independently and as a key team member.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, and Outlook) and Web-based Applications (i.e. Google forms, Box, ETO, databases).
- Standard office setting at IRC’s office in Turlock; regular evening or weekend activities as needed.
- Access to reliable transportation to travel and work off-site at programs (i.e. schools, apartment complexes, etc.).
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include: 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plans with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and Mental Health struggles.
How to apply