“Strengthening capacity for water resource monitoring and management in eastern Ukraine” Project Background The OSCE Project Co-ordinator (PCU) in Ukraine supports activities aimed at strengthening environmental security in eastern Ukraine. One line of project activities is focused on protection of water resourcesin the region and ensuringsustainable management of the Siverskiy Donets river basin. During2018-2019, the OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Ukraine supported a number of studies to prepare parts for the Siverskyi Donets River Basin Management Plans in line with the requirements of national water legislation and considering peculiarities of the region. In 2020, together with the State Water Resources Agency of Ukraine, the OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Ukraine is implementing a project that foresees economic analysis of water use in the river basin to contribute to the section 6 of the River Basin Management Plan. The overall purpose of economic analysis of water use is to prepare a foundation for developing a programme of measures and to support decision-making in the field of water resources management. The analysis will include characterisation of water uses, water use forecast, cost effectiveness analysis, the economic instruments, and other aspects related regional peculiarities. The study will require the involvement of experienced national experts with scientific and practical experience in the field of water economics. The OSCE Project Coordinator in Ukraine will engage three national experts who will work in a team and under co-ordination of a technical leader. The structure of the study and a detailed work plan will be developed by the technical leader and presented separately. Please note that this is a consultancy assignment. The consultant will be required to work from home with the ability to travel if necessary. Task In close co-operation with representatives of the project beneficiary, the OSCE PCU project team and other experts, the selected candidates will work on the following tasks.Apply Now
- Collection and processing a set of statistical and other data needed for the study (types of water uses, socio-economic issues, etc.).
- Analysis of additional informational resources needed to complete the tasks of the study.
- Contribution to the methodological approaches for separate parts of the study, in line with the proposed structure of the study, considering the requirements of national legislation, as well as the requirements of the EU Water Framework Directive (Directive 2000/60 / EC) and its guidance documents.
- Preparation of relevant section(s) in accordance with the agreed plan and the structure of the River Basin Management Plan:
- Participation in consultations with project stakeholders and discussion of the results of the study during events organized by the OSCE Project Co-ordinator in Ukraine.
- University degree in Natural Sciences, Economics or other related specialties;
- At least 3 years of professional experience in conducting studies in the field of natural resource economics;
- Practical experience in planning and conducting studies related to economic efficiency of water resources, forecasting economic development and water needs, and other similar areas;
- Good knowledge of Ukrainian legislation on water management, as well as the requirements of the EU Water Framework Directive (2000/60 / EC) and its guidance document on economic analysis;
- Computer literacy and ability to work with a large data;
- Excellent knowledge of Ukrainian and Russian, knowledge of English will be an advantage.