Desired start date: September 2020 Duration of the mission: 6 months – 9 months Location: Northeast Syria – based in Amuda or Erbil (Iraq), for the area of HassakéApply Now
ABOUT THE MISSIONSI has been working in Syria since 2012 and currently has strong coverage for WASH, FSL and NFI programs across North West (NWS) and North East Syria (NES). The NES programs provide an integrated assistance in the WASH, NFI, Shelter and Livelihoods sectors to displaced populations and host communities affected by the conflict. NWS programs are remotely managed and provide WASH and NFI/Winterization support to affected populations. Since 2016, SI has been partnering with a local health partner to develop and strengthen a WASH-and-Health integrated approach, and is currently developing the streamlining of Protection within its existing programs. The SI Syria mission counts about 340 national staff, more than 60 expatriates, and has a 20 million USD budget forecasted for 2019.
ABOUT THE JOBSI is looking for a WASH Program Manager, based in Erbil and remotely managing our activities in Northeast Syria, for the region of Hassaké / Deir-Ez-Or. Placed under the supervision of the Field Coordinator for Programs and the functional support of the WASH Coordinator, the WASH Program Manager leads SI’s Emergency WASH response, with a particular focus on IDPs. General objectives:
- Carry out the emergency WASH Program comprised of water supply (water trucking essentially), hygiene promotion sessions, construction of emergency latrines and showers, as well as waste management.
- Additional activities under the job incumbent’s responsibilities could include WASH in school and WASH in health facilities.
- Complex environment with highly volatile security situation, with limited operational visibility
- Remote Management, with no access to areas of implementation and exchanges with the teams
- Very important operational volume, with intervention on a large diversity of sites
- Diploma in Civil Engineering or Hydraulic Engineering is strongly preferred.
- Alternatively, strong technical skills must be clearly proven by means of extended professional experience with engineering.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as emergency WASH Program Manager.
- Proven previous experience in unstable environment (conflict / post conflict country).
- Experience in remote project management would be an asset.
- Experience in delivering training and Capacity Building of staff.
- WASH response for IDPs in collective sites as a response to early-onset emergencies in conflict areas.
- Knowledge in the construction of emergency sanitation infrastructure, including but not limited to latrines, bathing shelters, handwashing point, waste Management Systems, rehabilitation of water networks, including network extension, emergency water trucking, chlorination and water quality Analysis.
- Skills in hygiene promotion, including distribution of NFIs and targeting, and integration of protection, health, menstrual hygiene management in hygiene promotion.
- Strong management skills
- Diplomacy and Coordination skills
- Strong management and training/capacity-building skills and particularly capacities to provide distance Technical Support
- Display initiative with solid organizational and communication skills
- Fluent English is mandatory
- Arabic or Kurdish will be an asset