ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies, with the mission to connect the world. To achieve this, ITU manages the radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbits at the international level, works to improve communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishes global standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of Communication Systems. ITU also organizes global Telecom events bringing together the most influential representatives of government and the private sector to exchange ideas and knowledge for the benefit of all. INTERNSHIP: 7INTERNSHIPS-2020/BDT
Date of Issue: 4 June 2020
InternshipsApplications from women are encouraged
Functions: Unpaid Internship - Digital services intern in Asia-Pacific
Deadline for Applications (23.59 Geneva CH) : 2 July 2020
Duration of Contract: 6 months
Type of Appointment: Internship
Duty Station: Bangkok, Thailand
The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) of the Union which deals mainly with ICT-focused development policies, strategies and programmes, as well as technical cooperation activities, to promote digital inclusion and drive digital transformation at community, country and regional levels. To effectively and efficiently serve the needs of ITU members, BDT is organized into four functional areas:
- Office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department
- Partnerships for Digital Development Department
- Digital Networks & Society Department
- Digital Knowledge Hub Department
The office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department is responsible for advising and supporting the Director on the direction and management of the Bureau. It is also responsible for leading all matters related to personnel, strategic, financial and operational planning and reporting processes. The department oversees the work of the Regional Offices, ensuring proper delegation of authority and accountability of the Regional Offices. This department coordinates the holding of BDT conferences and events, monitors the implementation of decisions emanating from the World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC), the Telecommunication Development Advisory Group (TDAG) or Council, and cooperates closely with the other Sectors of the Union and the General Secretariat on matters of relevance to BDT and the overall work of the Union. BDT Regional Directors report to this department.Main Tasks and Responsibilities of the Internship Digital services and digital transformation are becoming a priority for countries in the Asia-Pacific as ICTs play a key role in achieving Sustainable Development Goals for 2030. ITU is working in a number of areas (https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/ICT-Applications/Pages/default.aspx) with UN agencies, countries and partners to develop strategies and master plans, promote new and innovative ideas for solutions, raise awareness and build capacity and implement projects. Key areas of ITU work in the Asia-Pacific region with the Members include digital Agriculture, digital government, digital health, and digital finance.
These activities are cross-sectoral and require close collaboration between stakeholders from several sectors, which necessitates the development of innovative approaches and solutions.
The intern will focus in the following areas:
- Participating in the creation of a database of ICT based solutions in the areas of agriculture, health, public services, and education.
- Learning and supporting planning for the development and implementation of digital services in identified countries.
- Support the development of concept notes and projects for smart village pilots.
- Support the organization of E-agriculture Solutions Forum 2020.
- Researching and identifying successful digital agriculture projects using new technologies suitable for FAO-ITU publications on E-agriculture in Action.
- Good working knowledge of the role of ICTs in other sectors (in particular digital government, digital agriculture).
- Excellent knowledge of MS-Word, MS-Excel, and MS-PowerPoint.
- Excellent research skills and very good knowledge of global trends in this area of work; Ability to think analytically and Problem Solving.
- Very good oral and written communication skills.
- Practical experience in the development and deployment of ICT for digital services would be an advantage.
The candidate will acquire excellent knowledge and experience in:
- developing digital services programs,
- e-agriculture solutions deployment and alignment between strategy and application,
- latest trends in using ICT technologies for development.
Qualifications required Education:
Graduate Student or Ph.D. (candidate) in areas such as economics, social sciences, computer sciences, information technology, agriculture, or any other relevant field.Experience:
No work experience required.Languages:
English, knowledge of Thai would be an advantage.Additional Information:
INTERNSHIP will be undertaken remotely
Please note that a non-remunerated Internship Position at ITU does not carry the same conditions of employment as a Short-term or a Fixed-term position. Mandatory Medical Insurance, travel expenses, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of the interns or sponsoring institutions. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test. Interviews may be used as a form of screening. For further information concerning the Conditions of Employment please click the following linkApplicants will be contacted only if they are under serious considerationInternships